Help! New Tires Too Noisy!

PappyD

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
I have a 06 Jetta Tdi. Needed new tires to replace the Pirelli P6's with 60k on them.

Picked up some Yokohama YK580's at Discount Tire. I went a little bigger than the stock 205-55/16 with 225-50/16. That is supposedly the most one can upsize on the OEM 16" rim. I liked the look of the "bigger" tire.

The Yoko YK580 was much too loud. First thing my wife said when she rode with me was "what's with the noise?"

So a few days later I return the tire to Discount Tire. I paid another $240 to get Michelin Primacy HP's. This was what was available in the size I wanted.

The Primacy HP's are even noisier! It's like from 35-55 mph the tire creates a harmonic wah-wah-wah- that almost sounds like a wheel bearing but is definetly the tires. The tire guy said the HP's would be "really quiet". ???? The reviews for both tires were good with above average ratings for noise. I had the Pirellis when new and don't ever remember noise being an issue.

I'll call the tire store but now I'm unsure of what tire to get-

Ideas?

TWA440

TDI
2-2006 Jetta TDI's
Honestly it sounds like you do have a bad wheel bearing. But, I can recommend a tire that I think you'll like. Many on this sight will cringe at the mention of Goodyear, but I've had a set of Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring tires on my car for the last 30,000 miles and love them. They are very quiet, good in snow and handle well.

Last edited:

PappyD

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Problem solved! Yesterday I jacked the back end up and checked BOTH rear wheels. The previous day I checked only the left rear because I would have sworn that the noise was originating from the left rear. Left wheel was tight. Took the wheel off and it had just a little resistance from the brake pads. Thought "this is OK..." Went to the right rear. Tire was tight, no play at 6 and 12 oclock. BUT, try and spin the tire and it was BAD. Took the wheel off and confirmed it- the bearing was shot!

What puzzles me is I don't remember having a lot of noise prior to the new tires. The right rear was the worst of the 4 but not by much. When driving the car I couldn't get the sound to change by swerving/turning back and forth to load and unload. So, if it were a wheel bearing, then it must be in the rear, I thought.

Now I feel a little sheepish about swapping out the Yoko's for the Michelin's. (even though I did pay more for the Primacy HP's) I will follow up with the store- maybe it will help the next guy with "noisy tires".

Happy Ending- The 10 mile ride home from my favorite car shop was awesome! The Jetta was real q u i e t... Just some wind and slight road noise. I felt like I had a new car! :cool:

PS- Thanks to all that commented and offered advice!

Moderator- you can close this thread!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Tire shops are not usually very knowledgeable about such thing, their forte is replacing and balancing tires.

They could have done a Road Force balance if they have a Road Force balancer that might have ruled out a flaky tire.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
As an aside, most OE VW 16" wheels are 6.5" wide, not really wide enough for a 225 series tire. 225s should go on 7" rims. You'll get quite a bit of sidewall flex with the 6.5s.