Help! Instrument cluster dead, engine starts, but dies immediately.

charlie_s

TDI
2004 BEW Jetta
Well, I'm afraid I just killed my car! On my 2004 Jetta, TDI (BEW Engine), I just removed and then replaced my instrument cluster without disconnecting the battery. Now, the cluster is completely dead, and the engine cuts off immediately after starting. I checked all internal fuses - all good. Also, all the 30A fuses on the battery are also ok.
Any ideas?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yup, the immobalizer circuit in the cluster has to give the ECU permission to keep the engine running once it starts, or the ECU shuts it down. If the cluster is missing-in-action it can't tell the ECU it's happy with the key.

A blown fuse (need to check 'em with a meter as opposed to by eye) could explain this, but unfortunately so could a current surge as the cluster was plugged back in live.

Fingers crossed for ya!

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
I probably shouldn't admit this, but I've removed my cluster many times without disconnecting the battery. It's possible something got fried, it could be something else. Did anything else change while you were removing it?

One time, I think I bent a pin while trying to plug back in the green connector. I don't remember the exact symptoms, but ignition definitely didn't work until I fixed it. This might be something to look at as well.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
I've pulled my cluster and replaced it probably over 100 times (I sell clusters so I'm constantly testing them in my car) and never disconnect the battery first. So yeah, you probably have a bent pin or broke a wire. The only electrical thing that I disconnect the battery before touching is the airbag system.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
And I'm bad; I've removed the steering wheel, including its airbag,and never remove the battery (but this isn't an endorsement you should). That said, like Greg and the others, I've never had problems removing my cluster with the battery on.

I would suggest you try another cluster, but I doubt you have another one available, right? The car won't start because of the immo, but just to make sure the cluster turns on.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Disconnect the battery and either touch the terminal together or leave it disconnected for a while. Hook it back up and see if the cluster comes back to lift. Doing that will put it into hard reboot and will fix most problems.

charlie_s

TDI
2004 BEW Jetta
Thanks to everyone for their feedback. Apparently, the problem is/was in the cable or the connectors. Because its so difficult to get that second connection made (at least for me), I think something wasn't made up all the way. There aren't any bent or damaged pins. I took the cluster apart (removed the upper half) enabling a much easier time of hooking it up due to smaller overall size. When I reconnected the battery, everything worked. However, when I put it back together and then reinstalled it - straining the wire harness to make the second connection, the same problem occurred. The cluster was dead and the car cut off immediately. So, I removed it and then very carefully reinstalled it, being VERY careful to insure the connections made up correctly, and everything works!
I followed turbocharged798's recommendation to re-set it each time before removing and made sure the battery was not connected each time I connected/disconnected the cluster.
I don't know how everyone else manipulates that thing to get the connections made up, but I always have a hard time getting the second one done, and am always worried I'm pulling on the wires too much. They sure didn't provide any extra length of wire!

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
When removing, do you try to unplug the right side first or the left side? And, same question reinstalling, do you try to plug in the right side first or the left side?

If this was the first time you've removed it, is it safe to assume you still have the little pink/purple levers on the connectors?

Do you lower the steering wheel and pull it all the way out before doing anything?