Help for a newbie please

JeffNLisa

TDI
98 Jetta
Hello Forum-

I am new to this forum, but it was recommended to me by the person who sold me my car. I have spent the afternoon reading thru it, and looking for answeres to my questions. Have found lots of good info, but not several specific things. If anyone reading knows of threads where these issues have already been answered, please post links to those threads, and if everything I need already does exist elsewhere, I'll delete this thread (if I can do that).

Thanks!!

I have a 98 Jetta TDI.

1. It sags in the rear already, and I am about to add 300 lbs or so (an aux SVO fuel tank full of fuel, about 9 gallons in containers in the trunk, and a tow hitch) which will make it sag even more.

I had planned to simply put air shocks, as I have on my Mustangs, and that way just adjust the ride-height back to level from whatever weight I happen to be carrying.

But Jetta doesn't work like Mustang in that area, and the springs are built-in to the shocks -- STRUTS :eek: :eek:

Does anyone know of a way to have adjustable ride height on a 98 Jetta? Or if not adjustable, at least lifted back to stock height after adding weight hanging off the tail end?

HELP!!!!

2. I need a Class II hitch. All I can find readily available from Reese, HiddenHitch, et al, is Class I.

I have seen several Class II hitches available, one available to order at an RV place, and the other here: http://www.curtmfg.com/app guide/VW.htm

The problem is that I need to be able to go someplace that stocks it, so I can take it and hold it up under my vehicle for fit, because I need it to fit around the custom auxilliary fuel tank.

I also want it as much out-of-sight as possible when the ball-mount is not installed.

And I really can't spend a ton of cash on it!! :(

If anyone has any recommendations what/where I might go, or any other helpful info, please provide!!

Everything I can see on this forum about tow hitches seems to talk about Class I and for A4 or A5 Jettas.

ANY help anyone can provide me will be GREATLY appreciated--

Jeff

Last edited:

Rick P.

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat, Tornado Red, RIP Feb 17, 2006
The reason you can't find a class 2 hitch (3500 lb GTW) is that this is a small front-wheel drive car. Except for the early 90's Vanagon I'm not aware of any VW sold here in N/A that could hope to tow this type of weight safely. Remember, you don't have a frame to bolt this hitch to - you're bolting through the stamped sheet metal in the bottom of the trunk.

Re the sagging springs, it can happen over time. Heavier-weight springs are available for these cars from your local dealer and from aftermarket parts places. Carefull what you get when you go aftermarket, though. VW springs are clearly marked with their load rating (via coloured bands). Aftermarket may not be so you might not get what you want.

Rick

abideworldwide

Veteran Member
TDI
B4v - SOLD
The towing capacity of your car is at most 2000 lbs which is acceptable for a class I. The things to tow with a class II (or anything beyond 2000 lbs) would be more than the car is safely able to handle I think.

JeffNLisa

TDI
98 Jetta
Update-

I also posted in this thread,

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=1176838#post1176838

and have now put an update in that thread.

The installer made the hitch so that it has plates on top and bottom, and sandwiches the car in between them -- and put it where there are two layers of metal for it to attach to.

Will post pics and more updates soon!

Thanks for all the input on this hitch.

Jeff

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
It is your option to use WVO/SVO...:p !
Did you read all the horror stories about TDI's not liking the stuff over a long period/miles?

Good luck either way, keep the fuel clean and use BIODIESEL as much as you can, that actually lubricates the internal parts of the engine.
Something that WVO/SVO does not.

My I.P. went 268 K miles before re-building for BIODIESEL use...
(130K on a TDI I.P., HU?)

Last edited:

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
bikeprof that's great news your IP had gone that long. I was wondering about that.