HELP! '05 PD crank/no start

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf TDI, '00 Jetta TDI(SOLD), '84 Rabbit 5sp NA(SOLD), 06 Jetta TDI(SOLD)
The '05 quit on the way to church this morning. It sputtered then picked back up again two times, only to quit at the next stop sign.Towed it back home and it actually started once then quit again like it was out of fuel. Went through the usual checks, starting with fuel. Full tank, filter was full. Looked in the Bentleys to see how the fuel system pumped fuel (suspected a relay,) the remembered there is no electric fuel pump. Went through the procedure to pull fuel through the system with a vacuum pump. I have a mason jar setup to use with a vacuum cleaner that works really well for this. I took the supply line off from the fuel tank and was able to pull air through the line to the input of the filter. When I connected this line back to the tank and continued to vacuum, it pulled a little bit more then stopped all together. Like it was pulling a vacuum on the tank itself. I took the cap off the than and disconnected the return line at the tank also. Same result, it tries to pull fuel through the supply line and then seems to stop pulling....... like a vapor lock. Suggestions? I don't see any valve or anything like that on the supply line from the tank to the filter. what is in the big canister inside the tank?

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
Ummm, yeah just read the thread on that, didnt see it before I posted checking pump now...... funny how I didnt notice that in the Bentleys.
2305, you are close by, any suggestions for a mechanic to do a tb on the wife's 2000 Jetta?

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
Lift pump verified, Mods delete if you deem necessary...