Heater Core Replacement Alternative

geostar

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001 TDI, Jetta 2009 TDI
It appears that my second Mk4 needs a heater core replacement. I thought this was rare! Having experienced the replacement, I have been giving advice, “Just Do It”, but I don’t feel like doing it right now.

My second is not my favorite, because it drinks gas. Bad boy!!!

So, I am scheming an alternative repair. Sealant. That’s right I said SEALANT, but this is a gasser we are talking about.

My scheme is to just treat coil with the sealant. I would build a system that would circulate the goo mixture just to the coil. The system would attach to the two fitting on the firewall and would consist of a pump, reservoir, pressure fitting for air connection (a way to pressurize the system), float flow meter. Maybe even a heater, if heat is required to activate the goo. It will also have a pressure gauge and a set of ball valves so that I could leak check. I have all this stuff in my shop, so I don’t have to buy anything, other than maybe some fittings.

My question is what do I use for the goo? Based on my first, the top of the coil is a plastic manifold that it integrated into the firewall fittings. The coil is about a dozen 6 mm aluminum tubes shaped like a U which attach to the manifold with Orings. My failure was at the oring joint. There was no aluminum corrosion. So what kind of goo would seal the oring interface between plastic and aluminum?

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
The biggest problem with using sealant is that it will Prob clogg the heater core. I've seen it happen quit a bit when people use the sealants to fix a leaking radiator. The passages in the heater core are very small and clogg very easily. Then again you might as well try it you won't be any worse off.

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
^^^^^ What he said. With your idea, the "goop" will *hopefully* only be in the HC. If your idea fails, you may be out a HC and Rad.

SyNtAxx

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Tornado Red GLS TDI
Bite the bullet and replace it. I had to do it on my wiife's Jetta last January. Although I am holding off replacing the heater core in the wifes GLX passat. I just flush the core when the heat slows to next to nothing in that car.

Nick

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Having just been thru another heater core replacement I understand the pain... and I too considered bargaining with various gods, offering up burnt sacrifices, circulating goop just in the core itself, etc. in an effort to make this cup pass from my lips. :)

At the end of the day I realized all that time spent in working around the inevidable was time best spent doing what we all know really needs to be done. And, given that your break is at the o-ring joint, where there's going to be on-going vibration and stress... I can't think of any sealant, liquid or otherwise, I'd trust to hold. Nor would I want me or my family to be by the side of the road if it blew and spewed coolant everywhere.

So, my vote is:

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
I think id be looking at installing an electic heater like the mkv has while changing the heater core. At least then if it goes out again you could bypass it until you have time to change it again. Good luck!