Heated seats too hot

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
I've dragged my feet with this issue in my wife's 2006 Jetta. One day, I believe last winter, the heat started to be too much for both seats but worst for the driver's.

In my 2004 I had to replace both switches because they would only work in some positions, but then nothing one day.

Is it the same deal with the 2006?
Is temperature controlled by the switch, and is there a temp probe in the seat that should limit the temperature?

Archetype

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
I am fairly certain they are dumb switches with no thermal feedback - only preset voltage levels to the heating element.

It is possible that the padding on the seat has degraded over time causing the heating element to become closer to the surface making it seem hotter on both seats.

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
can't help you. on five, it feels like i'm on a rotisserie. I set mine on two and am quite comfortable. I have not suffered from your case.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Maybe it is degraded padding. I think I will have to open one seat and have a look.

In my case anything beyond 2 will burn you. I am actually afraid 5 could start a fire.