Heads up - Low windscreen washer-squirter pressure

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Few weeks ago I started noticing that the washer squirters weren't doing what they should. Today's task was to get to the bottom of the problem.

Car-too-smart nuisance: you can't operate the washer squirters with the hood open! but I found the problem nevertheless, after operating the squirters there was washer fluid everywhere near the right hood hinge.

Problem traced to the plastic washer hose that had fatigued and broken in the vicinity of where it bends when the hood open. The resulting local flex also frayed the electrical wires leading to the squirter heaters, and two of the wires were broken.

Fix: Unwrapped the harness and worked a piece of regular rubber washer hose over the ends of the broken original hose. I gave it some extra length to give it more flex. Soldered short pieces of wire into the harness and put heat shrink over the connections then re-taped the harness and the hose. Drilled a hole in the rain tray to attach a zip tie to, to keep the whole thing away from the hood mechanism as the hood opens and closes, it was a bit tricky to do this but it's done.

If your squirters aren't squirting as they should, might want to check this.

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
Yeah, pretty much all MkV owners I know (a lot of them) have had this problem. I did exactly what you did. It's been 15 months, no problems.