Heads up: B4V roller for sale located in Waterford, WI

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
The most recent one is an old Volvo I had hoped to give away FREE before the winter came. Runs but has a blown headgasket -- ad says clearly that it can run just for long enough to get on/off a trailer but no longer. Needless to say I got repeatedly asked is there anything wrong with it???! (this is a 45 year old free car lol) And can I drive it home??!
Dunno how this compares: Selling car with blown head gasket for $500-ish. Advertised as blown head gasket. Guy calls, asks if it runs. No, blown head gasket. Makes appointment to see it. 2 hours late. BRINGS COMPRESSION TESTER TO VERIFY BLOWN HEAD GASKET. Confirms blown. Confirms he definitely doesn't want it, then. But he'd gladly offer $10 for a bunch of interior parts, which he is amazed to find in such good condition because these cars are 25 years old now. No. But why, it's just going to the junk yard?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Dunno how this compares: Selling car with blown head gasket for $500-ish. Advertised as blown head gasket. Guy calls, asks if it runs. No, blown head gasket. Makes appointment to see it. 2 hours late. BRINGS COMPRESSION TESTER TO VERIFY BLOWN HEAD GASKET. Confirms blown. Confirms he definitely doesn't want it, then. But he'd gladly offer $10 for a bunch of interior parts, which he is amazed to find in such good condition because these cars are 25 years old now. No. But why, it's just going to the junk yard?
People tend not to read all that much....even when the first thing in the advert is "READ EVERYTHING BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS."

Steve

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
People tend not to read all that much....even when the first thing in the advert is "READ EVERYTHING BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS."
Wasn't just the reading, I told him on the phone. "It won't make compression. It's blown."

On the bright side, very little time was wasted on that jerk. The first guy offered $1000 and had big plans to swap in a working engine, and lower it, and other wonderful things. He put down a deposit of $400 i think, and week after week, kept having excuses for not completing the deal. In the end, his cousin had to intercede and ask for a refund. When he explained how the guy was half-retarded and lived on disability checks, yeah, it all started to make sense.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Wasn't just the reading, I told him on the phone. "It won't make compression. It's blown."

On the bright side, very little time was wasted on that jerk. The first guy offered $1000 and had big plans to swap in a working engine, and lower it, and other wonderful things. He put down a deposit of $400 i think, and week after week, kept having excuses for not completing the deal. In the end, his cousin had to intercede and ask for a refund. When he explained how the guy was half-retarded and lived on disability checks, yeah, it all started to make sense.
Yeah I've had people tell me I don't know what I'm talking about...I just say sure...buy it then and go work your 'magic' on it...lol.

As for the wagon, it appears now that the seller of the WI wagon wasn't telling the truth, another advert popped up on the B3/4 International group as a sort of part out? He's selling quarters and rockers off it now.

IDK why people feel like they need to lie. Why tell me the wagon is gone...makes no sense to do that unless you've something to hide.

Steve

d24tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V
Yeah to all of the above. This is the kind of thing that just makes you feel tired.... Suddenly you would rather order stuff off ebay or visit the junkyard where everything is cut and dried, instead of having to deal with folks on facebook or the internet who will wear you down and make you give up.

On the other hand though, sometimes you end up with a great interaction that makes all the other negative experiences worth the frustration.

But my most recent frustrating one was a forklift I was going to look at in a town about 50 miles away a couple weeks ago. The guy put it up for sale with a limited-details, no-punctuation kind of ad, but was a decent and responsive texter when I asked questions and made a plan to see it. He sent the address and we agreed on a time. I texted before heading out to tell him I was on my way, he said great, see you then. When I pulled up I called him from the street and he said, oh sorry, some guys just showed up and bought it 5 minutes before you, oh what a bummer dude!

I guess the question I should have asked before I headed over was, "is there someone else also on their way right this minute with cash in hand to potentially buy it, therefore I should wait and see what they do before wasting my time?" But that seems like such an obvious crucial fact to communicate that I did not ask it .....

Oh well, it's healthier to move on from this kind of crap than to rant about it. Life never stops providing learning experiences.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yeah to all of the above. This is the kind of thing that just makes you feel tired.... Suddenly you would rather order stuff off ebay or visit the junkyard where everything is cut and dried, instead of having to deal with folks on facebook or the internet who will wear you down and make you give up.

On the other hand though, sometimes you end up with a great interaction that makes all the other negative experiences worth the frustration.

But my most recent frustrating one was a forklift I was going to look at in a town about 50 miles away a couple weeks ago. The guy put it up for sale with a limited-details, no-punctuation kind of ad, but was a decent and responsive texter when I asked questions and made a plan to see it. He sent the address and we agreed on a time. I texted before heading out to tell him I was on my way, he said great, see you then. When I pulled up I called him from the street and he said, oh sorry, some guys just showed up and bought it 5 minutes before you, oh what a bummer dude!

I guess the question I should have asked before I headed over was, "is there someone else also on their way right this minute with cash in hand to potentially buy it, therefore I should wait and see what they do before wasting my time?" But that seems like such an obvious crucial fact to communicate that I did not ask it .....

Oh well, it's healthier to move on from this kind of crap than to rant about it. Life never stops providing learning experiences.
Yeah...been there...done that, you have to ask about everything, there are no givens and rarely will anyone do what they say. Then again OTOH I can't count the number of people who say "I'm leaving right now" that never arrive...

One reinforces the other, but I still think that given the distance you had to travel he should have waited for you...but people don't care.

Steve