Headlight

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
I had a rough ride off the road dodging a semi. One of the already cloudy lens headlight broke both the mounts and internal adjustments.

I am wondering if there are better options than the stock Hella lights.

LoneLIPumpeDuse

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,04,BLUE GRAPHITE PRL
Depends how much work you want to do. The stock E55 reflectors easily take a HID H7 retro fit kit. They have a good cut off, little to no glare and much more light than incandescent. That is the quickest and essayist. Not sure about LED drop in's?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
You can put w8 Passat lights in, they're xenon.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
The Depo ones are no worse than stock, and cheaper.
True. But I would add about the Depo that the clips that secure the bulb in the housing are different than the Hellas/OE. I don't know that the Depo clips are proprietary, but after dropping it into the ether inside the engine bay, I could not find replacements anywhere and had no way to secure a replacement bulb in place. Depo doesn't offer any support. The Hella headlamp assemblies on FCP Euro weren't too spendy, at the time anyway.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
So I polished up a headlight that I had on hand and installed it. While adjusting, trying to raise the beam, there was a pop and the beam fell down. Has the adjuster ran out of adjustment or likely broke? Is it done or can the adjuster somehow be reconnected?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
So I polished up a headlight that I had on hand and installed it. While adjusting, trying to raise the beam, there was a pop and the beam fell down. Has the adjuster ran out of adjustment or likely broke? Is it done or can the adjuster somehow be reconnected?
The adjusters had problems with getting old and breaking. Actually, it's not the adjuster, but the piece that holds the reflector inside the light. There's a ball and socket type joint and the socket breaks. I had that happen on my Passat, I used some silicone and glued it back in.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
... The Hella headlamp assemblies on FCP Euro weren't too spendy, at the time anyway.

I bought my replacement Hellas from FCP Euro in 2015. One of them, somehow broke inside too (maybe the adjuster) after a few years. I got a no questions asked lifetime warranty replacement (less shipping) and all is still well today. I would consider buying from FCP because of the warranty policy.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
It is a broken adjuster. However, 2 1/16 In. holes and some wire and it is tied up in place. A hay wire fix by an old Saskatchewan farmer.

It will do for now, but a new pair of lights will be in the cars future.

LoneLIPumpeDuse

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,04,BLUE GRAPHITE PRL
I just upgraded my old DDM 35w HID's with 55W DDM ultra's. Very happy with the results, much better than the 35w! Now I have to see what I can do about LED's in the high beams. (y)

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Let me know how the LEDs turn out. I too was wondering about them.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Last edited:

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I just upgraded my old DDM 35w HID's with 55W DDM ultra's. Very happy with the results, much better than the 35w! Now I have to see what I can do about LED's in the high beams. (y)
I would appreciate sharing your exact HID configuration that is working in your Passat and the link to get it. Recently I tried a set from XENONHIDS.com and during a mockup set up it would trip the fuse.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
If interested take a look here for my initial experience with the DDM Tuning SaberLED OE Fit 50W H7 LED Bulbs for low beam lights.