head gasket question

grimkiller

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
a simple qiestion i hope. as i get into the bigger mods will have to look at getting a different head gasket to deal with the higher preassures that will be produced with high boost and what not??

DieselTrap

Veteran Member
TDI
99 PSD
I don't know if you guys get around to Oring the head or even fire ring the motor and head, with a new head gasket. It helps my Cummins hold together.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
My understanding that any change in the head gasket (thicker/thinner) to change the compression ratio is quickly thwarted by the computer. It will just reconfigure for the changes in pressure.

I am interested in the oring/firering info. That sounds interesting.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Unless you are doing 180+ HP just get ARP studs.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
jasonTDI said:
Unless you are doing 180+ HP just get ARP studs.
APR headstuds are not as strong as the stock ones which are a class 2 I understand. I put APR's in my car only to learn this info later. Save yourself $100+ bucks.

DieselTrap

Veteran Member
TDI
99 PSD
O-ringing can be in the head or block which people usally use a stainless wire in a grove made in the head or block, the fire ring is more of a ring joining the head and block which taks a little more machining but is the strongest I know of. But I can't belive the ARP studs are weaker than stock bolts, I know with the CTD you can buy your studs in 12mm or 14mm which you would have to drill and tap for. I think Piers offers something for studs too?

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Apparently the stock studs are a class 2 and the APR's something else. Difficult to describe but the stock studs have a greater contact area on the surface(the sprial) than the ARP's. Ask a mechanical engineer, they'll know. That's how I found out.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
It was pointed out to me that the old classification system that I'm used to using is no longer in force. SAE now uses a different standard, therefore "class 2" is inaccurate.

Regardless the bottom line is that the APR head studs aren't as strong as the stock studs.

Getting old sucks!:D

rjr311

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon , 1996 Passat sedan
Stock Febi head bolts are 10.9 - they have a nominal tensile strength of 10 * 100 Newtons per square millimeter ... 1000 N/mm^2 which translates _roughly_ to 145 Kpsi.

Arp 8740 Studs are rated at between 180K psi and 210K psi ( these number appear in different places with different values such as here -
http://www.centuryperformance.com/fastenermaterials.asp.

There may be some fudge factoring but from the numbers the ARPs are stronger.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
There's a reason that the ARP's are $100 and the stock bolts are $30.... Go ahead and try to torque a stock VW head bolt to 100ft/lbs, then try the same thing with the ARP's.. You won't get much past about 75-80 before the stock bolt stretches and breaks.. The ARP's won't bust till almost 170... You can try this in a vise with a big stack of washers and some nuts if you wish...
The ARP's are quite a bit stronger than the stock bolts in most applications...

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Sootman said:
APR headstuds are not as strong as the stock ones which are a class 2 I understand. I put APR's in my car only to learn this info later. Save yourself $100+ bucks.
Where's the documentation? According to metalurgy that should not be the case.

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
And the ARP studs have finer thread in the top so the same twisting torque results in more preasure. The OEM 10.9 bolts arent that strong...