Hazy film on interior of windshield?

pb88

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
This is a minor issue I've had since Day 1 with my Passat TDI SE: there is a buildup of some sort of oily(?) film on the interior of my windshield. This is barely noticeable and in fact I only notice it on sunny days (rare in Seattle haha).

Every time I wipe it away with a cloth it ultimately comes back. I have tried using Windex and aerosol "glass cleaner" but it eventually comes back. I have even gone as far as making a big effort to use brand new paper towels with glass cleaner to ensure I am not re-contaminating the surface by just spreading the stuff around on the surface. I have not quite gone as far as washing it with diluted soap like Dawn or something as I do believe it will simply build up again within the span of a week or so.

It appears as a slightly foggy film that accentuates the last "wipe marks" I made with a cloth.

Is it possibly some sort of fume or vapor from the engine? I am worried it is indicative of a larger problem.

FLIPTDI

TDI
Passat TDI SEL
Ive noticed the same thing. Like you said, its a minor issue. But I will be very curious to see any answers.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
You boys need to come on down south, lol. This is normal for us folks. This is the the result of the plastics in the car outgassing under temperature. Same effect occurs if you use armor all or other products on a dash under heat. It will eventually stop.

In the mean time the only thing to do is keep cleaning the windshield. Use a good cleaner and clean microfiber towels (paper towels or newpaper will just spread it). I personally use microfiber and stoner invisible glass.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Guys, welcome aboard!

You are experiencing the off-gassing of plasticizers. Happens in all cars, but some seem to be somewhat worse than others. It may take a year or so to dissipate. It will get worse during warm weather. Frequent cleaning is the only solution I know of.

pb88

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
If it is the result of the out-gasing of the plastic dash I guess that's not so bad...plus I kind of like that new car smell (even after 6 months). On the other hand, I have not experienced this with my Honda CR-V back when it was new (although it has a hard plastic dash, not the soft kind the Passat has).

Do all soft-touch dashboards do this?

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Do all soft-touch dashboards do this?

All vehicles with plastics will do this, it has little to do with the components and more to do with the heat.

The only car that I ever had that didn't was when I lived in Alaska, and at 6 years old when it came to Texas it did it for 10 months before stopping.

FLIPTDI

TDI
Passat TDI SEL
of course. :) Its funny though, I dont recall my Tiguan doing this. maybe been inhaling too much plasti-gas!

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
I detail cars for a hobby and I will tell you the method I have found best for cleaning glass. You will need to purchase Optimum no-rinse, a terry cloth towel (or waffle-weave towel designed for drying cars) and a washing mitt. Mix up the optimum and water following the recommendation (1 oz in 3 gal of water) and soak the washing mitt. Rub the mitt over the glass surface - in and outside. Dry with your towel. Result should be the cleanest glass you have ever seen.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
In addition to outgassing, which is likely, it may be a very slow coolant leak. Is there any slightly sweet smell?

MaddogTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, United Grey, 6M
I had this on my golf. Fixed by using a heavy spray of Invisible Glass and a squeegee (bathroom squeegee you can find at any hardware store) and then going over it again with another round of spray and paper towels. Typical spray and paper towels just moves the grease/dirt/film around. The squeegee moves it all the way off to the side and then the final clean takes it off.

Worked like a charm and has lasted for about a year... Just starting to get to the point where it needs to be done again.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
My 04 Jetta has been doing this recently. After almost 8 years, I would guess that the plastics have gassed off, so when someone here mentioned the use of Armor All causing it, a light went on. Last fall I did some work for a guy and he detailed my car using Armor all. Now that the weather is warming, I'm getting the fogging. So now I have two problems: one is getting the window clean, the second is getting that crap off the dash.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
All vehicles do this, some worse than others. I first observed it in the 1960s.

When you wash the inside of the window(s), wash the dashboard/seats and door panels as well. There is lots of plastic surfaces in the cabin and they all outgas as they age/cure.

BEWARE, DON'T SCRATCH THE CLEAR INSTRUMENT PANEL, it is made of very soft plastic.

Bill

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
All vehicles do this, some worse than others. I first observed it in the 1960s.

When you wash the inside of the window(s), wash the dashboard/seats and door panels as well. There is lots of plastic surfaces in the cabin and they all outgas as they age/cure.

BEWARE, DON'T SCRATCH THE CLEAR INSTRUMENT PANEL, it is made of very soft plastic.

Bill
Yes, spray the instrument panel plate and DAB the paper towel or cloth. Wiping WILL SCRATCH the heck out of it.

Helimech

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
windshield film

Purchased my new 2013 Passat TDI SEL in late August, 2013. I noticed the film the first time I drove at night. I can see two distinct round marks that look like suction cup marks. I also see a vertical pattern similar to corduroy fabric. This is on the inside of the windshield. I have tried using Stoner Invisible Glass several times. The film is still there. All the window cleaner does is smear it around a bit. I read all the other posts and this seems to be a common problem. I have had this problem on previous cars (none were VW's) and window cleaner always removed the film. What makes this film so stubborn?

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Sorry I missed this posting earlier. The film is caused by off-gassing from interior plastics. I use Optimum no-rinse to clean glass. ONR is used for no-water washing of cars, but I have found it to be the suprior product when it comes to cleaning glass - exterior and interior. I still use it on my JSW and my wife's 2012 Honda CRV when films reappear.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Hot, hot water, microfiber cloths, zero chemicals here. Never have a problem with residue of any kind.
Helimech: I still get a pair of circular marks every once in a while, only noticeable when the windows get fogged up, which is very rare.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Yes, spray the instrument panel plate and DAB the paper towel or cloth. Wiping WILL SCRATCH the heck out of it.
I believe one member here confirmed the instrument panel is in fact made of cheese :D

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Purchased my new 2013 Passat TDI SEL in late August, 2013. I noticed the film the first time I drove at night. I can see two distinct round marks that look like suction cup marks. I also see a vertical pattern similar to corduroy fabric. This is on the inside of the windshield. I have tried using Stoner Invisible Glass several times. The film is still there. All the window cleaner does is smear it around a bit. I read all the other posts and this seems to be a common problem. I have had this problem on previous cars (none were VW's) and window cleaner always removed the film. What makes this film so stubborn?
We concluded that the suction cup marks (also on our '13 Passat) were left by the installation tools. Those came off, but we're left with the filming tendency (visible on cold mornings until the car warms up) and it persists even after cleaning. I suppose the theory advanced by many people in this thread about the outgassing of new plastics is plausible....

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Two different issues here.
Outgassing is normal with all vinyl/foam products.

The suction cup marks remain on my JSW back window. I can't get to them because they're under the tinting!

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
I have yet to clean my. It's getting pretty dirty. I suppose the longer I wait, the longer it will take to clean and thus scratch more.

Roishe Cheng

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Same here, outgassing of plastics. I use Invisible Glass and a glass microfiber to clean it off when I clean the car.

I would not have any hack detailer use Armor all in this car, there are much better products that leave a matte finish and don't accentuate the fogging issue. I use Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer.

Deezil_n_Dachs

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
We're experiencing this oily film as well. It's concentrated on the bottom center of the wind shield and seems to grow from center outward. It gets about 8 inches high, and 10 inches wide. I've been thinking that it could be a coolant leak as someone else mentioned, but there's no odor. Sure hope its the off gasing.

algirdas

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta AHU
Willing to try the vinegar/hot water mix. White vinegar? What amount of vinegar to water?
Yes, general purpose White vinegar.

Don't have a ratio.
Usually half bucket of water, as hot as you can stand,
and couple slosh/glugs from gallon jug of vinegar .
Can always add more on next go round.

A good quality silicone squeegee around 6" long

Ptplayers

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 6M with sports package
Sorry I missed this posting earlier. The film is caused by off-gassing from interior plastics. I use Optimum no-rinse to clean glass. ONR is used for no-water washing of cars, but I have found it to be the suprior product when it comes to cleaning glass - exterior and interior. I still use it on my JSW and my wife's 2012 Honda CRV when films reappear.

I thought i was the only one having issues with the film on my front windshield and this car has been the worst for it .

Just ordered some Optimum and will try it .

Thank you

Rob