Has anyone used the cheap brake booster vacuum hose?

Voluble

TDI
04 BEW Jetta Wagon

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
That looks like what it ought to cost in the first place.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I'd bet you can find an OEM used one for somewhere in the $20 range from someone doing a part-out, over in the Classifieds section.

I have one in my garage wrapped in silicone tape that I used for about 5 years without issue until I replaced it right before selling the car - if yours has a crack, it might be salvageable in the interim (?).

Voluble

TDI
04 BEW Jetta Wagon
Fortunately, the crack isn't that bad. I put some epoxy on it for now, but I'd still like to replace the part. I'll probably end up spending the $15 on one of the Amazon ones and see how it works out

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Yeah - I mean, it's a connection between two things made of plastic and rubber; not too much to screw up there. And failure of the part, should that happen, isn't an engine-buster.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Lol I replace mine about 12 years ago with 3/8” ID heater hose.......and put over 250,xxx miles on it for a couple of bucks.......never had an issue.....still my daily driver at 429,xxx miles.
Just my .02

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Duplicate response

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I'd say go for it. If it fails only thing that happens is you are gonna get hard brakes and no turbo.

The other thing to do is just replace the hard tubing from the booster to the check valve since that usually is what fails.

Any pneumatic specialty store will have the right size tubing. Heat the ends with a heat gun or similar before pressing it onto the fitting then once it cools it will seal. You could use a little bit of heat to massage the shape of the tubing as well.

Probably less than $1 for that short section of tube

Voluble

TDI
04 BEW Jetta Wagon
That sounds like a good idea. I'll check around for any stores with tubing. Thanks

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
Depending on location of the problem; split it open and throw glue lined heatshrink over it after reconnecting itll work just fine for a long time. I did that with a few so far and it holds up well

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I got mine from a Napa.

mattboyd

TDI
04 Jetta TDI Wagon
Thanks for starting this thread -- I was going to post the exact same thing but thought I'd search first. Just ordered mine from Amazon ($15 and free shipping).

Voluble

TDI
04 BEW Jetta Wagon
It's been a couple months since I put mine on, and I think it's working out pretty good. I kept the old one just in case, and I figure I could throw some epoxy or something over the crack if I'm in a pinch. But so far I haven't had to do that yet

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Lol I replace mine about 12 years ago with 3/8” ID heater hose.......and put over 250,xxx miles on it for a couple of bucks.......never had an issue.....still my daily driver at 429,xxx miles.
Just my .02
I did the same thing on my 2001. Had a piece of large size fuel tubing and it's been on there ever since. I'm not sure why that hard piece of OEM plastic tubing should cost more than $5 and seems like a bad idea anyways.