Has anyone done a color change?

Perfectreign

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
I did check on vwvortex and here, but haven't found anything definate.

I'd love to get rid of my beige interior and go with dark grey or black. Has anyone done that to their MK4 yet? If so, what was your experience.

Here's one thread from 2003 on the subject. I didn't want to reply to a 13-year-old thread.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=56930

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Gotta really love it to do an interior change. Dash and a lot of small bits, plus head liner, door panels, etc. needs an upholsterer and/or some serious part searching. Maybe you can work out a scheme where you use much of what you got.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Shouldn't be that hard. Find an A4 with a clean interior (wreck, blown engine, whatever), and swap it over. Lots of people have done it to varying degrees. I have a B4 here that got a full GLX swap including door cards, carpet, and headliner.

Last edited:

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
The hard plastic parts can be painted with interior paint specific to the color you want to change to. The rest can be sourced from a bone yard.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
I switched the lower half of my 99.5 Golf's tan cloth interior for black, bit by bit. I never liked the tan as it looked dirty from day one (bought it used with 65K miles). One day I found a good deal on heated black leather power/memory seats and that started the journey. Leather door cards were next (the backs required some modification as they were from a Jetta), followed by the plastic bits, carpet, rear parcel shelf and eventually a larger glove box and the new-style center console with cupholders. I still need to replace some of the seatbelts. I think the car looks pretty good with black on the bottom and tan on top.

Other than the wiring for the seats, it was pretty straightforward. I would recommend doing the carpet and seats at the same time as you need to take the seats out to replace the carpet.

Perfectreign

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Those are some great links! Thank you very much. I was thinking of it mainly because I (a) hate the tan interior and (b) wanted to tear apart the carpet to put in sound proofing so figured I'd change it out while I was at it.