Hard starting issue

AK islandr

TDI
Silver 03 GLS 5 spd wagon
Not trouble starting due to cold temperatures. Before any motor issue arose my 2003 TDI wagon has been flawless. A couple years ago Fixum Haus replaced my timing belt and installed Malone chipping. Currently my trusty Jetta has over 105K and I read if I clean the MAF it could help mpg and overall health of the engine. MAF removal and replacement was very easy, I dribbled some isopropyl alcohol over the sensor and reinstalled the MAF. Since then if the Jetta sits overnight it has trouble starting. Only by using the starter to keep the engine turning does it eventually start. Now I notice there is a small drip coming from somewhere around the injector pump, that might be a coincidence.
As a test I pulled the sensor connection to the MAF before a cold starting but that made no difference. I bought a new and updated OEM MAF. After install there was no change to cold starting. Something to note is once the engine is running it performs perfectly like it always has, starts fine at anytime, acceleration is good, no missing, nothing out of the ordinary. Only when it sits for hours until it is completely cooled does it act up. Am I wrong thinking the timing of the MAF cleaning is a cause of poor cold starting and the injector drip is a separate issue? Someone suggested it might be a problem with the ECU. Is there a problem with glow plugs? Will a vag-com help find the problem?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
'm not aware that the MAF could cause problems with starting: note: cleaning these things doesn't generally produce good results; one ought only look to replace them when then KNOW they are bad; VCDS can show you whether they're good or bad.

That note about fuel dripping from your IP is NOT good. This might be causing you to lose prime, making it harder to start. Are you seeing air bubbles in your fuel line (going to the IP)?

Might be worth a quick shot to disconnect your CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor). A bad one causes starting difficulties when cold. Plenty of info out there, search.