Hard Start this morning

c4markee

TDI
2011 TDI Jetta
Have not really run into this issue yet...
This morning it started and stalled twice. Stumbled stalled. Pulled out the actron reader and no codes, let it sit a minute. Stumbled a bit started, and ran fine. I will have to pull out the vagcom after work and see if any codes are pending.

Boatman

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Jetta, '04 Sprinter, '14 GLK 250
Yup,,, water in the intercooler sucked into the engine. You must have been right on the edge of not having enough to hydrolock the engine.

c4markee

TDI
2011 TDI Jetta
That was my first thought since we have had a lot of snow..
They did the intercooler fix on it last year after I left it at the dealer and raised hell with VW cares about it since they could not repeat the issue.
typically there will still be water in the intercooler at the bottom if it is the issue?

Boatman

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Jetta, '04 Sprinter, '14 GLK 250
Quite a number of people have still had the issue even after the "fix". There is really no way to keep water out of the intercooler and it typically isn't a problem. The issue is that it seems to be freezing and then when it melts the water pools in the lower charge hose.

Of course at this point VW will tell you it's been fixed and we can't replicate the problem.

c4markee

TDI
2011 TDI Jetta
Well super. Ill have to go through the thread see if anyone has a DIY fix that will keep it from happening anymore.

Quite a number of people have still had the issue even after the "fix". There is really no way to keep water out of the intercooler and it typically isn't a problem. The issue is that it seems to be freezing and then when it melts the water pools in the lower charge hose.

Of course at this point VW will tell you it's been fixed and we can't replicate the problem.

WolfsburgGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
MK VI Golf TDI
Most people who have installed that winter front have said that they dont experience those kinds of issues even after the varying temps of going above and below freezing. I park in a garage at home and at work so it's happened to me twice now. The next time it gives me a no start though, I'm calling VW Roadside to tow it to the dealer so they "replicate" the problem.
I can give them every single symptom of this, but they wont budge until they can replicate the problem.
To me its kinda pointless because then you're risking more potential damage to occur to these extreme pressure sensitive engines. I'm going to invest in the winter front from IDparts.com if I still have the car next winter. I hope I do, but with this whole dieselgate issue, its an open book.

- Some have also drilled an extremely small hole in that lower intercooler piping to allow that water to drip out with no loss in power or check engine lights to go off. I dont know how I feel about drilling a hole. If I do, I'll wait until the Certified Pre-Owned bumper to bumper warranty expires.

Feel free to send me a message if you want more help. Happy to help

c4markee

TDI
2011 TDI Jetta
They did the same with me for awhile, I just refused to give back their loaner until the issue was resolved and called VW Cares, told them to buy the car back, they assigned me a case worker. In the end they did the fix (I live in Michigan, cold weather is kinda our thing, or it used to be), and provided an additional 20k mile warranty.
On the snow thing, every time it has happened has been the day after I drive in a snow storm or heavy rain. Other than that, I park in a heated garage and outside at work.
I may try the drilling a hole to reduce it. I have to do the brakes on the rear this weekend anyways. Had to order a 14mm spline or triple square wrench :mad:

Most people who have installed that winter front have said that they dont experience those kinds of issues even after the varying temps of going above and below freezing. I park in a garage at home and at work so it's happened to me twice now. The next time it gives me a no start though, I'm calling VW Roadside to tow it to the dealer so they "replicate" the problem.
I can give them every single symptom of this, but they wont budge until they can replicate the problem.
To me its kinda pointless because then you're risking more potential damage to occur to these extreme pressure sensitive engines. I'm going to invest in the winter front from IDparts.com if I still have the car next winter. I hope I do, but with this whole dieselgate issue, its an open book.

- Some have also drilled an extremely small hole in that lower intercooler piping to allow that water to drip out with no loss in power or check engine lights to go off. I dont know how I feel about drilling a hole. If I do, I'll wait until the Certified Pre-Owned bumper to bumper warranty expires.

Feel free to send me a message if you want more help. Happy to help