Happy with the 2015 Golf?

Surfnsun725

TDI
Soon to be...
I'm on the fence right now about going for a new Golf Tdi. How are owners feeling after getting some seat time? I'm especially interested in those who came from 2010-14.

Few questions...

How do you like the seats? Especially compared with the pre-2014 seats? I found the older model to have great seats! That was of particular importance to me with a 100+ mile commute.

Interior design? Fit & finish?
Happy with the engine? Power? Shifter feel?

Any problems with glare from the shiny plastic around the radio and AC controls?

Anything else you can share about your experience with the Golf is greatly appreciated! :D

Last edited:

hankster88

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 MK7 Golf TDI S 6M-Sold
2500 miles last month and I think it is great. Bolsters in the seat hold you but are not super snug(I'm 5'9" 225) MFD says 52mpg but receipts say 49.6.

I don't have a glare problem but I have the poverty S( no sunroof).

the manual is nice, with not a super long throw for the gears with a nice clutch.

Other than that, some complain about the torsion beam rear and not the IRS but unless you catch a bump at the right angle with the right speed during the perfect turn, you won't really notice the difference..

My $.02

Mike

WiszMaster

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta TDI - Silver, '06 Golf TDI, '06 MB 320 CDI
2,400 miles in 3 weeks, loving it. Most of mine is city/mixed driving, spend lots of hours in the car going between appointments, seats are comfortable for me, 6'1" 270lbs, and my wife as well, 6'2 190lbs.

Car drives very nice on long trips, no complaints about the seats..

We've got the S as well, with the brushed aluminum looking trim, and it's nice, doesn't attract fingerprints, and no reflection.
The interior is nice, solid, much higher quality than the mkIV's - still have a 2002 Jetta Wagen 2l w/ 180k miles.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
subscribed.
look forward to hearing general MID term comments on everything about this car. Please pipe in often especially the high milers. Any impressions will be interesting

JBizz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 vw golf tdi
I don't really like them. They make my back sweat when im driving during the day. Im 5'7 173lbs not hairy. The seats are comfortable if you find the right setting. I keep changing mine every day because my work load changes. It might be from this southern California heat.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

pillboxhat

TDI
15' Golf (Formerly owned 240D, 00 Beetle, 06 Jetta
I have owned a Jetta, Beetle, volvo xc60, mazda 6 infiniti ex35, honda crv and a bunch of other cars. I have a pretty picky and high standard for cars. I would say this Golf has exceptional build quality. It is more comfortable than other VWs for sure. I'd put it up there with the luxury cars I've owned. It's not as soft a ride as the infiniti or volvo but the comfort of the seats and cabin is great. But this is also way more fun to drive than the Volvo or infiniti or Mazda. The seats are more comfortable than the 2014 golf in my opinion and probably some of the best in it's class. If they didn't explicitly state it you would think and assume they were leather and not leatherette. Seat comfort is totally subjective though. Twice I returned or sold cars after a month because the seats were not comfortable...I do 30K miles a year. It's important and don't let anyone tell you "you get used to it." I can safely say that this Golf will be with me for a while as I've had it for a couple months and the seats feel great.

Regarding the panel around the AC and front console, there is no noticeable glare or distraction from the finish. The piano black color and trim definitely add to the overall appearance. The interior design seems to have a unified flow and it...works.

I am coming from driving a crossover and sedan and I do not feel like I am in small car. The other side of that though is that I definitely feel lower to the ground and I feel bumps a little more. I do not think it is because of the rear torsion beam. I think it's because the SEL has 18s for wheels and the car is, in fact, lower to the ground and part of the VW/german car experience is a firmer ride. Especially in the sportier models like the Golf compared to the Passat and Jetta. I test drove an x1, A4, and 328D and I think this golf has a lot of the great features and styling that those other cars have for about 10-15K less when you factor in options.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
Seats on the sel trim is different design than the SE. I find the sport seats on the SEL to be a bit more side support. My lats are a little thicker from years of being a meathead gym rat. I think I liked my mk6 seats better. I like the looks for the pleather but would had rather had the cloth seats like the mk6 or mk7 base gti.
agree

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Seats are firm but not hard or unbearable to sit in for 2 hours, not sure about the cloth seats but the leatherette is nice with the perforations to help keep cool.
Handling is what any vw owner would expect regardless of it has a torsion beam or not, my'10 wagen had IRS and I can hardly tell the difference. Even the '13 Jetta I traded had a solid beam but the 15 is much better ride quality.
Fuel consumption is better as everyone is reporting, I'm seeing at least 1L/100 k less than the '13 CR Jetta and 10 hp more.
The interior finish has been vastly improved from the last model and have gone back to a soft dash rather than the hard Plastic like GM and the other 2 NA pos
Overall a much nicer vehicle to own and drive with attention to detail where you wouldn't expect it.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
Seats are firm but not hard or unbearable to sit in for 2 hours, not sure about the cloth seats but the leatherette is nice with the perforations to help keep cool.
Handling is what any vw owner would expect regardless of it has a torsion beam or not, my'10 wagen had IRS and I can hardly tell the difference. Even the '13 Jetta I traded had a solid beam but the 15 is much better ride quality.
Fuel consumption is better as everyone is reporting, I'm seeing at least 1L/100 k less than the '13 CR Jetta and 10 hp more.
The interior finish has been vastly improved from the last model and have gone back to a soft dash rather than the hard Plastic like GM and the other 2 NA pos
Overall a much nicer vehicle to own and drive with attention to detail where you wouldn't expect it.

Mk6 golf has always had a soft dash and the interior looked very nice as well. If you compare this to the mk6 jetta then yes there is an improvement, but if you compare golfs side by side I guess mk7 looks cheaper, unless you get the SEL trim

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Mk6 golf has always had a soft dash and the interior looked very nice as well. If you compare this to the mk6 jetta then yes there is an improvement, but if you compare golfs side by side I guess mk7 looks cheaper, unless you get the SEL trim
Yes I was referring to the Jetta

flyingtoaster

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S DSG
I have the TDI with DSG and I love it. I get more than 50mpg when cruising at 75mph on the freeway and the engine is very powerful. Seats are comfortable. They become hot to the touch under any kind of sunlight, but they don't absorb heat the way my leather S2000 seats do and the entire cabin cools down quickly once the AC is on. It takes about 5 min for the heater to start working, but the TSI has an iron block too, so I imagine it would be about the same. My only gripe is that the car feels more front heavy than your average 60/40 FWD car.

JBizz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 vw golf tdi
... They become hot to the touch under any kind of sunlight, but they don't absorb heat the way my leather S2000 seats do and the entire cabin cools down quickly once the AC is on...
Do you have window tint on yet or sun shades? Isk about absorbing heat. Mine feel like the heater is on and i dont have heated seats. And this was at 12am 70f outside.. Maybe its. Me and the way im sitting.

flyingtoaster

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S DSG
Do you have window tint on yet or sun shades? Isk about absorbing heat. Mine feel like the heater is on and i dont have heated seats. And this was at 12am 70f outside.. Maybe its. Me and the way im sitting.

No sun shade or tint and my car is medium colored (red). Even if the leatherette is burning hot to the touch, the seats cool down pretty quickly. Maybe I'm just so used to having a car with even hotter seats.

j0105

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S Manual
I'm on the fence right now about going for a new Golf Tdi. How are owners feeling after getting some seat time? I'm especially interested in those who came from 2010-14.

Few questions...

How do you like the seats? Especially compared with the pre-2014 seats? I found the older model to have great seats! That was of particular importance to me with a 100+ mile commute.

Interior design? Fit & finish?
Happy with the engine? Power? Shifter feel?

Any problems with glare from the shiny plastic around the radio and AC controls?

Anything else you can share about your experience with the Golf is greatly appreciated! :D
I won't comment on the seat comparison, as this is my first Golf.

I love the interior of the car. The interior color was actually a larger factor in my decision than the exterior. The all-black interior was too much black for me, and I didn't like the shiny plastic trim around the radio controls and elsewhere. When I test drove a Golf with all-black interior I thought it made the inside of the car feel smaller than it is.

I opted for the beige interior because all of that shiny plastic (fingerprint magnet) is replaced with a brushed aluminum looking material, which I think looks much better, and hides dust and fingerprints. At the same time, the carpet and mats are still black, to hide some of the daily wear.

Hope this helps.

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL 6MT w/ lighting and driver assistance package
I won't comment on the seat comparison, as this is my first Golf.
I love the interior of the car. The interior color was actually a larger factor in my decision than the exterior. The all-black interior was too much black for me, and I didn't like the shiny plastic trim around the radio controls and elsewhere. When I test drove a Golf with all-black interior I thought it made the inside of the car feel smaller than it is.
I opted for the beige interior because all of that shiny plastic (fingerprint magnet) is replaced with a brushed aluminum looking material, which I think looks much better, and hides dust and fingerprints. At the same time, the carpet and mats are still black, to hide some of the daily wear.
Hope this helps.
Actually, only the SEL's have the piano black trim. Its not dependent on interior color.