Hammer Mod how hard do you hit it?????

chrisfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
97 jetta
When performing the hammer mod :

1 - how hard do you hit the pump?

2 - where exactialy do you hit it ? I know the drivers side but where on the pump?

3 - with the eng running or not??

subject is a 1997 A3 jetta 5speed with RC2, tdi racing 520 nozzels, and dawes device for over boost and a viper bleed boost controler.

Thanks

Chris

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 Avant 1996 Silver
I never taped it... just got it a bit more loose and pushed it with both hands with teh vag com in front of me.
With tapping it was very inconstant.

Cheers

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Don't do it with the engine running!! (ASK SOOTMAN WHAT HAPPENS)
Gently pry with a screwdriver. (barely!) Hammer mod is just a figure of speech, a colorful phrase coined by a colorful individual known in these parts as "oldman".
Wouldn't you just prefer to install good nozzles so you don't have to mess with the pump to control the smoke?

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Quote........"With tapping it was very inconstant",
Sounds like you un-cracked the bolts tooo much.........half a turn usually does it.

woofie2

Veteran Member
TDI
Former TDI owner
I would suggest having a Cardinal baseball player hit it with a baseball bat, but then they would be whacking at it all day before they hit anything.

madman91 said:
:D In-post advertising.
Vendors who PAY Money to support this site, can do that.

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
if you do it when the engine is running you can either squirt diesel all over or get the engine to run away. I used a rubber mallet and gently whacked it a few times each way and then checked in vag-com.

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
mojogoes said:
Quote........"With tapping it was very inconstant",
Sounds like you un-cracked the bolts tooo much.........half a turn usually does it.
Maybe...
First I couldn´t move the pump and hammered it a bit hard... then I couldn´t tune it very well so I did it with the engine runing (seems like its not a very good idea :eek: ) but it worked ok ;)

I will now need to do this the other side... un hammer mod so I can install PP502 without too much fuel :D

Cheers

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
I've always done it with the engine running and if you just lightly crack it open there should be no problems, the trouble with doing so with out the engine running is you 1 can't here the revs change which means 2 you doing know how far you have gone .

Which means you could have a run away when you next turn the engine on.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Yep. I first crack all 4 loose 1/4 turn, then if they feel too loose, I snug them a bit. Then start the car, vag-com sitting on the airbox, tap tap tap with the hammer. If the pump leaks when you start the car, you've loosened the top too much.

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
mojogoes said:
I've always done it with the engine running and if you just lightly crack it open there should be no problems, the trouble with doing so with out the engine running is you 1 can't here the revs change which means 2 you doing know how far you have gone .

Which means you could have a run away when you next turn the engine on.
I did it with the laptop at my side and with the pump nearly opened (it actualy got a bit of fuel out from the sides) :eek:
Oh well, but I already done 40k kms and no problem.

BTW , PP502 with a stock turbo... what IQ should be used for not having too much fuel? 6mg?

Thanks

Oldman

Top Post Dawg
you don't need the engine running, but you should put a scribe line down or you will not know how much it moved and a very little bit makes a huge change like.005