GTG in Alma, Michigan, Follow-up to Lew's -- Late March??

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Re: ALMA, MICHIGAN GTG 16th March

I'm a comin' and maybe the wife. She asked me today if a bit of corned beef and cabbage would get eaten if we brought it. interested parties please rsvp for quantity's sake.

By the way....belly pan bought the farm yesterday. May have to trace a good one that is laying around at the GTG. ...don't know if I can part with the money for a new one knowing its likely fate.(sigh)

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto

Besides time/location we need to have someone bring hand cleaner, paper towels and what else? things you have in your secret locations in your garage that you don't think about when you go somewhere else...like pans for collection waste fluids, funnels, containers for waste fluids.....

Old Navy....I tried to talk the daughter into a NB....she really wanted a Jetta...had to settle for the Golf!

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

Besides time/location we need to have someone bring hand cleaner, paper towels and what else? things you have in your secret locations in your garage that you don't think about when you go somewhere else...like pans for collection waste fluids, funnels, containers for waste fluids.....

You mean people go to GTGs without those?

Wish I could be there but I'll be packing up the latest old place for the move to the newest new place.

IrishchickyTDI

Veteran Member

Hey guy's I'll be able to make it to this one. Let me know what I should bring. I don't have a garage, so I don't have shop towels or anything laying around but I can pick some up. Just let me know. "POOF" is in need of an oil change. Can she get hooked up with one? The 16th is a day of resting for me as I had to take the 17th off to go spend time at the local pubs with my fellow <font color="green"> </font> Irish <font color="black"> </font> folk.

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years

After looking thru the online yellow pages, I found A.S.A.P. Recovery, Towing, Auto Service and Snow Plows, I think that's it. The complcation is the only addy given was a P.O. Box but on the supplied map it showed the location about 1 block North of Superior St. (B.R. 27 or 127 now thanks MDOT
) on the corner of Gratiot and Downie streets. Gratiot crosses Superior, Downie parallels. Superior is the same street as Lincoln/Swan Creek Rd. just changed the name in Alma to confuse out-of-towners
Unless Sippn'Diesel can chime in before, hey Geoff, can you swing thru on your way to/from work to confirm? It looks to be ~1.5 miles off 127 to the West. Have we decided on a meet time/place? Should we have the vehicles that need to cool park at the location and others give rides to breakfast? I know, so many Qs, so little time

sipndsl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Auto

ASAP Sales and Service is right on Superior Street (AKA Lincoln Road, Swan Creek Road) it is about 1.5 miles off of US 127 at the Southern-most exit from 127. Exit 127 at the first Alma exit going North or the second if your going South, turn West toward Alma and ASAP is on the North side of Superior. Not much else around it, so should be pretty easy to find.

I would suggest those with TB's to be changed or inspected should drop their cars there at 8:30 AM. I will be there then to provide transportation to The Harvester for breakfast (bus will leave at 8:45 AM sharp). If you are skipping breakfast, get there as early as you can to let it cool.

The Harvester is just North of downtown on Wright Avenue. From ASAP, continue West through town to Wright Avenue (Evans Drugs on the corner) and turn right. Continue on Wright Avenue for about 1 mile, The Harvester will be on the right. If you want to meet for breakfast, meet at 9:00 AM. If not, we'll see you at ASAP at 10:00 when all the fun begins.
I am guessing there will be air available, but I would not count on the use of any tools. If Larry is going to be there he may be open to letting us use some tools, but to be on the safe side we should all come as prepared as possible.

Count me in on the corned beef and cabbage. I wouldn't mind attemting an auto tranny fluid change as well if time permits.

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
Re: GTG in Alma, Michigan, Follow-up to Lew\'s -- Late March??

So far we've got:
1 A3 T belt (Live4spd's friend)
2 NB T belts (Mark of Diesel & Jerry)
1 auto tranny fluid change (Zanzabar)
Cup holder? (Gibstits)
Vag Com work
(Kenmc5) - erg and Cel
(Sipndsl)
3 Golfs for Brake bleeds (lrpavlo fleet!)
Suspension check - (JETTah)
gauge cluster install (magellan01)
Oil Change(POOF)
Learn about car (mcolmsted)....Courtney! Won't he listen to you?!
Note: Injector swaps have been cancelled + POOF oil change added (Erin you'll bring favorite oil and filter right?).
I noticed Drivbiwire's write up used a 2ft piece of 3/4" hose to fill the tranny. I don't have that piece of hose.

Pressurized

TDI
Golf, 2000, Silver

May I add another brake bleed - Golf?

I can bring fullup Vagcom installed on laptop with cable, MetalNerds TB tool set, plus whatever whatever else is needed?

Any B20 available in the area?

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)

May I add another brake bleed - Golf?

I can bring fullup Vagcom installed on laptop with cable, MetalNerds TB tool set, plus whatever whatever else is needed?

Any B20 available in the area?
No B20 but I can have a few full cans of B100 and you can mix your own with lrpavlo and GeWilli certified Amoco Premier Diesel fuel. Its how I run B20-B30 this winter.

yeah you can add a brake bleed - i've been going through a fiasco of a bleed in the Volvo - brakes? no problem. Fricken clutch? HOLY CRAP - (yeah need to maybe choose words more delicately) stupid design - grrrrrrr - it's just amazing.

On one hang though - Advance auto parts has the Valvoline Synpower brake fluid on sale (well it rang up at) $4.20 with tax for the quart! Unless you are using the VW stuff - grab some of this stuff at the advance places . . . I'm also thinking that the pressure bleeding is the way to go (rather than the vacuum bleeding). Looking forward to this. The deal on me being there ALL day or part of it: I'll know monday night. If my wife's exams are in april . . . I'll have a shorter day. If they are in September . . . i'll be the last to leave. . . .

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .

GeWilli I run the AMOCO PowerBlend and would to like make the run back to MO with a tank of that Premier stuff. Where will I find it, Alma or Mt P?

PS: The CCV filter prototype will be on the NB for everyone to get a look see.

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI

GeWilli I run the AMOCO PowerBlend and would to like make the run back to MO with a tank of that Premier stuff. Where will I find it, Alma or Mt P?

PS: The CCV filter prototype will be on the NB for everyone to get a look see.
<font color="blue"> CCV will be neat to see! Alma....HWY 46 exit (the 2nd exit for those of you comming from the South!)
</font>

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Mt Pleasant has it only at the Coyne Oil Pacific Pride refueling center. If you have a PAC Pride car you can fill up there.

OR

Mt P has the sunoco gold at the pickard street exit (good fuel).

Amoco premier is in Alma (at the amoco there at the exits M-46 ones) and in Ithaca (south of alma on US 127).

The Alma one has two nozzles on the premier pump and one of the nozzles is a small one that is easier to fuel up with . . . . Prices are generally pretty close between them.

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)

A friend of mine is having trouble with his 97 Jetta (2.0
) the front drivers side wheel is making a low howling noise that resonates loudest at around 40mph. Apparently somebody diagnosed it as the lower ball joint, but to me it sounds like the wheel bearing. If there's time, can we check it out? Anyone have the equipment for pulling ball joints and bearings?

TDIguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1998, Black

I don't know what I was thinking??? When we were discussing this I was assuming that the GTG was on a Saturday not a Sunday
, I just figured it out. This stinks but I won't be able to make it Sundays are just bad days for me. I guess I will see everyone at the SpringFling at Bob's place, or better yet one on the East-side (near Wacker's)
. If we do something on the East-side I could have a dinner type thing, we have a fire pit and some really good take-out joints.. This stinks!!

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

TDIguy, ya know what you need to do?

Organize it YO OWN DAMN SEFF

same goes for everyone - ya wanna have a GTG? drop me an email and I'll pass it along to the group.

Yeah Sunday . . . actually works better for me (for a change) gimme a day to recover from the week . . .

About the "east-side" gang - heck Ted G's been talkin about doing the Car and Driver "drive" for a long time now (or was it just a long time ago). And thats about the same distance for me as to Bob's, or Alma/lew's . . .

is the list still the same?

So far we've got:
1 A3 T belt (Live4spd's friend)
1 auto tranny fluid change (Zanzabar)
Cup holder? (Gibstits)
Vag Com work
(Kenmc5) - erg and Cel
(Sipndsl)
4 Golfs for Brake bleeds (lrpavlo fleet + pressurized!)
Oil Change(POOF)

------------------
does that list look correct still?
updates?
as for the brake fluid flush/bleed - don't forget to do the clutch as well . . . that is as important as the brakes (if you have a 5sp) to flush.

Someone bringing a pressure bleeder? I'll have my vacuum pump

What about fluid disposal? Will there be a place to put that or do we need to cart it out with us?
-
one last item: I can't stay around until the wee hours of the night so lets line up and knock off the tough jobs first (T-belts).

Since it will be warm on sunday it'll take that much longer to get the cars down to temperature. Keep that in mind for what ever you want to work on.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

I think the A3 belt was done last weekend by a travelling TB changer.
Of course, he might have more than 1 friend too.

KenMc5

TDI
98 Black Jetta TDI

I a newbe here so thought I'd pass on my list to bring the 16th. Plan to meet group at breakfast. If some of the stuff is not needed just let me know. Thx, Ken
- Floor jack (1.5 ton w/ no rubber pads), 2 jack stands, creeper
- hand cleaner, paper towel, Win 95 laptop, extension cord
- oil drain pan, basic metric sockets & wrenches, couple of oil filter wrenches
- BBQ & buns, (card table & chairs if fit).

Don't have any containers for used oil.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

MOGolf, I was wonderin about that - i thought I read somewhere about a timing belt someone might have done

I a newbe here so thought I'd pass on my list to bring the 16th. Plan to meet group at breakfast. If some of the stuff is not needed just let me know. Thx, Ken
- Floor jack (1.5 ton w/ no rubber pads), 2 jack stands, creeper
- oil drain pan, basic metric sockets & wrenches, couple of oil filter wrenches

Don't have any containers for used oil.
KenMc5,
do you have any empty winsheild wiper fluid gallon jugs? I use those - they work quite well and Murray's never says anything and just empties them and give em back.

What is it you need/want to do with your car? or are ya on the list already and i'm missin something? Or are ya just comin up to help out and have fun?

So we've got 2 NBs.

Question: are there engine supports there for the NB or are we gonna do them in the empty (no lift) bays? (my vote). Lets use the lifts to cycle the oil changes and the brake bleeds through - IE the stuff we don't need to support the engine from the bottom with . . . .

KenMc5

TDI
98 Black Jetta TDI
GTG in Alma, Michigan, Follow-up to Lew\'s -- Late March??

GeWilli,

Basically just coming up to have fun, help out where I can and learn. Like to just get the EGR mod (for my car) and it's on the work list. The stuff I listed is just from taking a look around the garage. If ya already have the tools I'll leave the tools at home & just bring more food. Thx, Ken

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

- 2 jack stands, creeper
- couple of oil filter wrenches
I'd say this would be a perfect list - if that makes more room for BBQ

Everyone is welcome to come up. Watch hang out - lend a hand . . .

it'll be fun!

sipndsl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Auto

So far we've got (UPDATED):

2 auto tranny fluid changes (Zanzabar)(SIPNDSL)
Cup holder? (Gibstits)
Vag Com work:
EGR mod and CEL(Sipndsl)(KenMC5)
5 Golfs for Brake bleeds (lrpavlo fleet + pressurized!)
2 Oil Changes(POOF)(SIPNDSL)
2.0 wheel bearing check (zanzabar's friend)

As for fluid disposal, I'll try to find out. We may want to plan on carrying it away but will post otherwise if I find differently.

Did a quick search on preferred auto tranny fluid but came up short -- any suggestions? (what are you bringing ZANZABAR?)

MrMetal

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Re: GTG in Alma, Michigan, Follow-up to Lew\'s --

Ok, I think I should be able to make this. Two questions:

1. Is anyone driving up from around Ann Arbor? Group drives are more fun, and I have a FRS radio

2. What time is this event starting, and what time can I expect to leave? I have to be at Detroit Metro airport by midnight to pick up a friend...

Keep on sootin'

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Re: GTG in Alma, Michigan, Follow-up to Lew\'s --

Man you guys scared me, there for a minute I thought you were changing this to Saturday.
Since I'm driving 600+ miles for this, departure timing is important.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

So far we've got (UPDATED):

2 auto tranny fluid changes (Zanzabar)(SIPNDSL)

Vag Com work:
EGR mod and CEL(Sipndsl)(KenMC5)

5 Golfs for Brake bleeds (lrpavlo fleet + pressurized!)
2 Oil Changes(POOF)(SIPNDSL)
2.0 wheel bearing check (zanzabar's friend)
We can take the cup holder off the list. Its a 30 second install - we can do it at breakfast if we need to

Did a quick search on preferred auto tranny fluid but came up short -- any suggestions? (what are you bringing ZANZABAR?)
From what I've heard it is most advisable to use the factory fluid. On the other hand, old timers like Ripster and his auto TDI avoided the tranny fluid change until after 100k miles.

Here is how i see it:

Lifts first:
SIPNDSL Fluid/oil change
Zanzabar Fluid change

Same time:
NB timing belts start I'll help both but work more on Jerry's as my shoulder permits. Mark should be perfectly capable of doing his own all by himself now
Got any extra Extra Tall prison- oops I mean MDOT jumpsuits there Mark

Then after those get done everything else can follow in place in line.

Sound okay?

Forcast is looking colder and colder
down to 52 last time i checked but the rain has been present . . . .

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)

I ordered factory VW fluid from Impex, it was $12.50 or so per liter, and I got 5 liters. I wonder what it costs at Williams? Supposedly the job takes 4.5 liters. Maybe you could pick up only 4 and we can share my fifth liter, but that might be cutting it close.

sipndsl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Auto

Thanks, Zanzabar, but I think I am going to skip the auto tranny fluid change this time. I only have 48K on the Jetta and really don't need one that badly, besides I think pads and rotors will likely take precedence after a quick inspection. Add that to the list!

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm figuring I'll just go off in a corner and wrench away and when done I'll try to pitch in anywhere I can. I can bring a Mity-vac too with unopened brake juice, gotta swing by Advance Auto to get some more. Thanks for the tip Geoff. See ya'll Sunday 8:30ish

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI

Don't worry Mark of Diesel....I'll help.....oh maybe thats what yer worrying about...

Hope some new TDI'ers take advantage and come by to ask questions, clean snowscreens, have ventectomy's done etc!

Zanzabar....you going to become the resident expert brake person????