GTG Chapin, SC Jan 26, 2013

Joeviocoe

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 VW Jetta TDI (Mk4) 1.9L ALH 5spd [VNT-17/22 Turbo, RC4, PP520 Nozzles]
A little bit. It just doesn't seem to catch like it used to. I have tightened the cable to try and fix this issue but it doesn't seem to work. How much tear down is required to replace the cable?
Fairly easy replacement on the mk4. Most of the cable is accessible from under the car, but the center console would need to be removed.
The cable gets rusty and binds or brakes.
Have you looked at your rear calipers yet?

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
Fairly easy replacement on the mk4. Most of the cable is accessible from under the car, but the center console would need to be removed.
The cable gets rusty and binds or brakes.
Have you looked at your rear calipers yet?
Yeah, I've actually had the rear calipers rebuilt after being powder coated and there was a "it may or may not work right" answer to it. lol But because my brakes don't stop well in general I think it may have something to do with the fluid or pressure. Because they were pretty good in the beginning and have gradually gotten worse. I'll have to wait on the cables this time since I don't have the funds, but if someone is willing to help me diagnose the issue that would be great. At least I would have a starting point.

Joeviocoe

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I've actually had the rear calipers rebuilt after being powder coated and there was a "it may or may not work right" answer to it. lol But because my brakes don't stop well in general I think it may have something to do with the fluid or pressure. Because they were pretty good in the beginning and have gradually gotten worse. I'll have to wait on the cables this time since I don't have the funds, but if someone is willing to help me diagnose the issue that would be great. At least I would have a starting point.
:) sure, I'll be there at the GTG. see you there.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Just got a new job, and I'm hoping (fingers crossed) that I don't work Saturday. I really need some help with my brakes. I think they need bled and need to figure out why my ebrake is virtually worthless. Plus I need to install my fuel level sender (which I'll be ordering tomorrow). So, I'll let you know if I can attend. I really hope I can!
Bring some old clothes. Eric and I will be happy to show you how to fix your car.

I'll bring the fuel sender tool.

ncroadwarrior

Veteran Member
TDI
04 JSW bew
Hey Dan,
Thought i was good to go on not having anything special to do the the wagon..but.

I want to check out the alternator plug itself...since this is the second time that an unplug/plug back in has cleared the nasty P 2637 code...(torque management feedback signal a)

Wife was on way back from the coast and had a P2637 code flash...hard shifting tranny ,etc, same code and symptoms that happened about a year ago...had AZ guy do the alternator unplug and replug and wife was able to get home without any futher issues...codes cleared by themselves...

bill.

Last edited:

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
, 1981 VW pickup TDI Conversion, , 2000 Golf TDI,1985 Cabriolet 16V,2006 jetta
Anyone have the fuel lines that go from the fuel filter to the pump for a mk4 golf they could bring to the GTG...LMK

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I have updated the first post as follows:
There will be a TDI GTG at my house near Chapin, SC on Jan 26, 2013. 8 am to 8pm. Directions are on one tab of the Google spreadsheet. I would just as soon not have my name phone numbers address, etc posted directly on the web.

Please list any work you need to get done on the spreadsheet as well.
Google Docs Spreadsheet for signup and directions. Look for tabs at the bottom of the page in this spreadsheet, they can be hard to see.

I have been remiss in updating this thread.

Two tuners are planning to come, Jeff (Rocketchip Tuning -jsrmonster on the club, see post #51) and Andrew (Malone tuning dealer and provider of improved plastic parts, Newzboys on the club see post #8.)

Several excellent mechanics are planning to come, the Grindstaffs from Appalachian Diesel works in Asheville, Jimbote, Paramedick, AndyBees, among others, I am sure.. An excellent chance to pick folks brains and get diagnostics done.

Light wrenching. What is light wrenching? Not Timing belts. Not tricky jobs that require no interuptions or distractions. Light wrenching examples : Brake rotor and pad replacements, brake flushes, fuel pump replacement, fuel pickup cleaning, Anti coolant migration mod, fuel tank ventectomy, scans with VCDS, and many other simple tasks. The basic premise here is that you can get help and advice to do these tasks. Please do not expect the mechanics to do it for you. They are willing to teach and share knowledge; please do not abuse this. You must bring all required parts. Bring your own basic tools. You can borrow specialty tools. Do not plan to use the lift for more than 2 hours. There are three other bays available (one in the shop, two at the house) don't plan to use one of them for more than 4 hours.

If you see anyone doing a heavy wrenching job, hopefully they have cleared it in advance. Someone will be taking the rear axle off of the wreck and replacing their rusted out Yankee car axle. That is the only heavy job I am aware of. Let's hope for their sake we have no precipitation.

We will have food (hamburgers and hotdogs), drinks (Please bring your own and a few extras - l will have a large ice chest) and TDI blarney.

We will put out a donation jar for the food. (Someone remind me.)

Bring chairs if you have them.

Why don't you see if you can make it?
Dan

VWSHPFRMN

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
None at the time
I will be able to make it to this GTG. I will be able to program immobilizer keys. If anyone needs parts PM me. I can also bring any special tools if required.

TheGrey1987

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Hi guys,

I lucked out right after I asked if anyone had any wheels and tires for sale. Well I found some in Georgia and 12 hour round trip later I have these 17" ASA wheels.

gajetta2013

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Thanks, Dan thanks for your help. I hope I didn't worry everyone to death with my pusuit of Atlanta members. I just want to be a part of people that made the choice of a diesel auto; wheather it be recent or a long time ago. I think I mentioned earlier, my only experience with the auto diesel was a 1981 Buick coverted from the factory. I really just want help any way I can with the club. I love my Jetta TDI!!

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
Jimbote and I will be resealing a VE pump that is off of the car. This will make a great demonstration for all the ALH, AHU, and 1Z folks. We will start it at 1 PM.

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
Anyone have the fuel lines that go from the fuel filter to the pump for a mk4 golf they could bring to the GTG...LMK
I have fuel line from Parker that is properly rated for the application. My car has been changed over over 40K ago. Can bring some with me with a cutter, will have to look up what it cost me by the foot. Will be driving a 2004 Grey Jetta TDI Sedan.

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
I will be able to make it to this GTG. I will be able to program immobilizer keys. If anyone needs parts PM me. I can also bring any special tools if required.
Need my 2004 Jetta Wagon that needs the key to work with the immobilizer.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Hey Dan,
Thought i was good to go on not having anything special to do the the wagon..but.

I want to check out the alternator plug itself...since this is the second time that an unplug/plug back in has cleared the nasty P 2637 code...(torque management feedback signal a)

Wife was on way back from the coast and had a P2637 code flash...hard shifting tranny ,etc, same code and symptoms that happened about a year ago...had AZ guy do the alternator unplug and replug and wife was able to get home without any futher issues...codes cleared by themselves...

bill.
Bill,
I have a box of old wiring, we can probably replace the connectors in your plug and fix it this way. If you go by a VW dealer, you can get "repair Wires" for the plug, this would give you new conductor ends. But we can probably find some good used ones in what I have.

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
IP pump reseal

Jimbote and I will be resealing a VE pump that is off of the car. This will make a great demonstration for all the ALH, AHU, and 1Z folks. We will start it at 1 PM.
Every one should watch this rebuild. It can be tricky if you don't know the correct procedure, but is fairly easy if you take your time and do it correctly. Just resealed one this week. Wow were the seals old and brittle. Don't know how it was running. Resetting the IQ is a real trick with new seals lol. Just tighting down the cover and base, with the new seals in place really moves the IQ all over the map. lol

Last edited:

ncroadwarrior

Veteran Member
TDI
04 JSW bew
Bill,
I have a box of old wiring, we can probably replace the connectors in your plug and fix it this way. If you go by a VW dealer, you can get "repair Wires" for the plug, this would give you new conductor ends. But we can probably find some good used ones in what I have.
ordered from ID parts today..

new plug + wire repair kit

not going to waste your time foraging around ...
have a getto fix in place holding plug tight against housing....will be extending/splicing wires to take tension off plug....
found similar situation on audi forum...
tks bill

tacameron

TDI
96 B4 Passat Wagon TDI 291k
Can't wait the B4v has undergone the knife and her plastic surgery looks great. Still needs a tune and I have a 8bit problem can anyone look into there heart and bring me a GQ(FA JB ED also work) I'll bring cash. Bruce I haven't forgot my debt of diet Pepsi's. Houpty ready for the PBR (I don't mean Pro Bull Riding). Thanks Dan for the hospitality.

buckinjacket

TDI
2006 jetta tdi dsg
Hey Dan I'm planning on coming Saturday any preference to drinks, chip or deserts? I've signed up for a tune and also would like some guidance on doing a cam inspection.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
No, no preference. Bring what you like, but maybe twice what you would bring for yourself. That ought to work out.
The cam inspection should not be a problem on your 2006 BRM engine. They are the easiest to inspect. Unfortunately they are also the most likely to have cam damage. I see at least 7 of 8 with worn cams at 80kmiles.

ReferenceDesign

Veteran Member
I will be bringing the bottomless "TDI Fest Woodford" to keep the chill away.

Will bring wiring tools, CAN vag plus secret code readers, new spring comp.

Dan do I need to bring any actuator slope inverters?

rkovacs

TDI
Black 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon
Might be able to make it, depends how the wife is feeling.
I just ordered a new key and will need it programed, been running around with only one key for my car for 3 years now!

Joeviocoe

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Dan I'm planning on coming Saturday any preference to drinks, chip or deserts? I've signed up for a tune and also would like some guidance on doing a cam inspection.
Does Jeff need to know in advance who will be tuning with him? I sent a PM.

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
Thanks, Dan thanks for your help. I hope I didn't worry everyone to death with my pusuit of Atlanta members. I just want to be a part of people that made the choice of a diesel auto; wheather it be recent or a long time ago. I think I mentioned earlier, my only experience with the auto diesel was a 1981 Buick coverted from the factory. I really just want help any way I can with the club. I love my Jetta TDI!!
Hey Oakwood Ga huh? I grew up there and graduated from West Hall High. :cool: