Grinding noise, mk4 golf 1.9 4motion

erykkuld

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf mk4 1.9L 4motion 115hp AJM
Head swap went well, but new problems always arise. Here is the video of it: https://youtube.com/shorts/o4oMFegPLjc?feature=share

I just hope all of these problems i am having help someone in the future.

Seems like something to do with wheels/suspension, simply by the fact that the noise alters with speed not rpm, so i would say i can rule out transmission/drivetrain.

I have had a good look underneath, and can't see anything wrong, thought maybe it was my belly pan/liners making the sound, because the screw points on them are mostly broken, but it wasn't drove the car without them for a short trip and didn't change the sound whatsoever

I do have a bad tie rod end on the passenger side of the car, but i am kinda thinking the sound isn't that. I have changed out the right side bearing (the side i think the sound is coming from) Might have done that job badly and it failed prematurly but there is no play in any of the 4 wheel bearings, 3-9 12-6 locations also when the original bearing failed (Before i did the head swap) It didn't make this noise. I have also driven in a circle at 10kmh and 20kmh to rule out cv joint, and the sound can't even be heard then, only when driving straight.

Sound is also very intermitten, sometimes it is there sometimes not, but mostly its there, either if I turn left or right. But again mostly if i turn left it goes a tad bit away. Any suggestions are nice

erykkuld

Veteran Member
TDI
And may i ask how have i gotten the 'veteran' member stamp from only being on the forum for a year? If it's because i have had so many problems then that is kinda funny 😂

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
It’s definitely a wheel bearing. I had to let mine go a month before I was able to determine which one it was. Moving the steering wheel slightly left to right could make it go away and come back .
You can try to put it in the air and spin the wheels to see if one makes a noise . Don’t forget to also check the rear wheel bearings too.

How did the replacement bearing fail?

I believe it’s the amount of posts you make that gets you to veteran status.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
My grinding noise was diagnosed as a bad wheel bearing; I have an appointment to get the left front bearing changed. Not much change when turning left or right. Noise disappears at higher speeds.

BritishBora

TDI
VW Bora 1.9tdi PD130/115
Was there any reason you are not going to attempt the wheel bearing yourself? I am yet to do a bearing change so just curious as i have changed entire front hubs with relative ease but understand you need a hydraulic press to remove or install bearing but other then that should be pretty easy no? and save some £££

erykkuld

Veteran Member
TDI
Well after some fiddling me and my uncle have come to the conclusion that it might be the inner cv joint, so gearbox side, seems to be quite loose.

I have checked all 4 wheel bearings 3-9 and 12-6 positions, and there is no play in either of the wheel bearings, and again, this does not sound like a wheel bearing I would say. The sound comes from the left side, not right side (left side is drivers side)

All suspension components are intact, except the right side tie rod, which is getting fixed just want to solve this sound first. Going to get a used left side driveshaft and re greasing it. Think is the best approach, after having spent tons of money on a new head/camshaft/tandem pump.

Gonna update on how it goes.

erykkuld

Veteran Member
TDI
Was there any reason you are not going to attempt the wheel bearing yourself? I am yet to do a bearing change so just curious as i have changed entire front hubs with relative ease but understand you need a hydraulic press to remove or install bearing but other then that should be pretty easy no? and save some £££
And also to answer this, when I replaced my right side wheel bearing, I did it on my own without a press. I used something like this: https://www.skruvat.no/monteringsve...wlHrePI_VkOZeAmIsg5hiPBGoPTLVhxoaAmCHEALw_wcB

After talking to multiple garages that said they wanted 100 usd for only pressing a wheel bearing into the spindle, I bought the tool sett instead so i would have it if future wheel bearings go bad,

highly recommend to get a new wheel hub also with the new bearing because to get the old wheel hub out of the old wheel bearing you have to be a steady hand with an angle grinder. Tbh if i ever do another wheel bearing job I will get a new wheel hub with it, because it just makes the job a whole lot easier.

Also put the wheel bearing in the freezer overnight, makes it slip right into the spindle, then heat it up a tiny bit to press the wheel hub into.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
It’s really not that bad of a job , even cutting the inner race off the spindle. I have a similar set but from the US harbor freight Store. I’ve gotten it down to do one in about an hour.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
For that inner race on the hub, I just grind one side really thin then crack it with a chisel. just slips off after that.

erykkuld

Veteran Member
TDI
Kinda strange, sound dissapeared after i put on my zito 18". I had already bought the inner cv joint so will replace it anyway because there is some slack. I drove the car over 600km the past week, and havent had any issues with it.