Grey/White Smoke at idle

altrev

TDI
City Jetta 2008
Hi guys,

I drive a Jetta MK4.5 1.9 TDI (called Clasico where i live, or Jetta City in Canda) basically a MK4 with a BEW engine.

A few weeks ago, i noticed 2 leaks, one on the EGR and the second on the right side of the engine (i didnt have a chance to spot the exact part).
I was saving money to take my car to the shop, but a right now im having this issue. When idle, the car makes a huge cloud of grey/white smoke, its kinda embarrasing because it looks like its on fire. When i rev the car, neutral or any gear, the smoke dissapear, so no smoke while driving. I read similar topics and people say that can be an injectors issue. If its an injector issue, can the injector be repaired or will need a new one, prices are really expensives on the new ones :( .

Do you guys think the same or is there any chance the smoke problem can be caused by other reason.

TDI cars are noy very common here, so i would like to have some opinions before i get a super high estimate at the shop.

Thanks

smopoim86

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 11 Sportwagen
I recently picked up a similar issue. It was only bad at idle when the AC was on. I swapped the injectors and now the loaded idle smoke is greatly reduced.

I would bet that just cleaning the injectors could help. I'm interested in what others say as well.

Is it any time it's idling or just when at a loaded idle?
Does it smoke when cold or just when up to temp?

altrev

TDI
City Jetta 2008
Any time, even when i shift to neutral to make a total stop, the car starts smoking while reducing the speed.

But its not always the same, sometimes doesn't smoke at all for days, car runs fine, and sometimes smokes after 5 or 10 min driving, then nothing.

smopoim86

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 11 Sportwagen
Mine has completely stopped with the new nozzles.

I just realized is a BEW. Cleaning nozzles isn't the same easy task on that car.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk