Green doughnuts on strut cartridges

hudsonjrwt

While rotating tires on my Y2K Jetta TDI tonight I notice sitting atop each front strut houseing on the strut rod a green hard plastic "doughnut" about 1 inch thick similar to a "strut bumper". It has a slot formed in it allowing it be easily removed. As it is slightly larger in diameter than the strut cartridge housing, the bottom of the plastic dirt bellows will not fit over it potentially leaving the strut rod exposed to the elements. If it was of a softer material I could accept it as being a bumper; however I feel it may be some type of shipping/packing device for the strut assembly which was not removed prior to installation. Anyone else noticed one or been down this road? Is anyone else's strut boot bottom end fastened or installed over the top end of the strut cartridge (verses dangling loose above a green doughnut)?

Bluenoser

I'll have to check my new Jetta, but my '98 Passat had these "shipping" pucks installed to prevent damage to the cartridge while in transit.

I drove for a month with those things on and only through the Passat mailing list, did I learn that the "groan" coming from my front end was being caused by these.

I'd guess your observation is correct.

------------------
Chris Davey
'98 Passat 1.8T
'00 Jetta TDI

M

mickey

Maybe they're for warming up the suspension before a canyon-carving session. I've got some of those things for my golf clubs.

-mickey

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Hey save those things man: Another owner (TRryn) is wearing out his "skid pale" on a rough road. Perhaps he can use them.

ScottTDI

Veteran Member
Too bad no one really seriously responded to this post, hopefully more will chime in this time...

I noticed my front strut boots (Y2K Jetta)looked "mangled". Upon closer inspection, they too had the infamous green pucks. Now I know why the car made such a loud thunk on big bumps.. Anyway, I removed them, but the boots still seem mangled. One of them won't hang straight, and the other has a small hole in it from rubbing on the puck.

Does anyone know if they should be tie wrapped down to the bottom of the strut?

The monkeys at the dealer blew it again.

Scott

M

mickey

The "boots" are just dust covers. Anything you can do to keep 'em from flopping around will be just fine.

-mickey

p.s. Nothing ever changes. I read the initial post and didn't realize this was an old thread. The first thing that popped into my mind was the same weak "golf club" joke I posted in April! I've got to get some new material.

[This message has been edited by mickey (edited December 04, 2000).]

wyseguy

Veteran Member
TDI
wyseguy100
They are shipping pucks used to prevent damage to the suspension during transport. They should be taken out ASAP. I would also go to your dealer, put them on the counter, and ask why they didn't finish PDI (preliminary Delivery Inspection) and then ask them what else they forgot. This is what I did! Good Luck