Got any tips for ALH dissasembly/reassembly for me?

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
I'm going to be taking my ALH apart for upgrades. I know a bunch of you have done this during upgrades and repairs. What tips and tricks do you have for me? Anything and everything will help.

Yblocker

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
Be methodical. Clean all parts and fasteners to be reused and put the small parts in labeled zip lock bags. Keep good notes, take pictures, and don't be in a rush. What kind of upgrades are you talking about?

elroy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
take LOTS of pictures. Different angles. It'll allow you to go back later to check small details like how wires were run, under this over that. No matter how many pictures you take, there will always be a certain angle or side you need later on. Zip lock backs and a marker will be your best friend. Make it easy on yourself to put it back together.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
What kind of upgrades are you talking about?
EGR removal, new rods, new pistons, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, LSD, head studs, head work will be done elsewhere, exhaust, turbo, charge piping, fmic, nozzles, lift pump, injection pump. The 200+hp build type things on the wagon. Block will be bored and honed to allow larger pistons to make it a 2.0L. Engine and trans mounts, suspension bushings, coilovers, probably control arms, sway bar links and bushings. I already have MKIV black leather .:R32 seats and steering wheel, but not the whole interior is black yet. Some gauges for telemetry. Lots of little things like clips, gaskets, lines and such.
Luckily I have a tripod and I can set the camera on it for pictures. Going to need about 6 more hands though.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Have and use Bentley extensively. Research Bentley and other resources (here and myturbodiesel) before attempting anything unfamiliar. Have and use a reliable (calibrated or tested recently) torque wrench for everything you can get to. Find and use recommended torques or torque-plus values for all fasteners. Learn which are TTY bolts, order ahead of time. Be prepared to have to use a wide variety of extensions, universals, long/short ratchets, allen/hex drivers, 12 pt. and torx bits. Having a good variety of tools can make the difference between a 5 minute removal and a 2 hour one. Go on a diet and limber up. Small hands and the ability to contort to weird positions for long periods comes in handy. Other than that, have fun... :D