Goose call sound when shutting down car?

mnoll406

TDI
2000 Beetle GLS TDI
Hey Guy's,
Just bought a 2000 Beetle TDI. When I shut down the car it occasionally gives this honking noise like a goose call when I turn off the ignition. Anybody experience this, or know what this is?

Mike

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Is the A/C on when you shut it off?

You should shut it off before shutting down the car so it doesn't smell musty, anyway. Mine does this when I forget.

mnoll406

TDI
2000 Beetle GLS TDI
Hey Jetter,
No I generally shut down everything before I turn the car off. I have forgot on occasion, but generally I turn off everything. Also it has made the noise even if everything was off. Haven't noticed any problems associated with this, just want to make sure it's not indicative of a problem.

Mike

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Sometimes if you pull in fast and shut down the turbo will still be spinning. Odd wind-down sound from that. Could be an anti-revision (shudder) valve noise too.

SoaceMunky

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Anthracite Golf IV, 13 miles and counting ;)
i noticed a similar sound. i dont know how loud yours is, mine is really faint.
i have no idea what it is, but assuming its related to the vacuum pump. it goes on for maybe 10-15 seconds after the car is off, then makes a few clicks and stops.

cage

Top Post Dawg
My guess is gunk around shudder flap. When it closes it's either not closing fully or it's somehow oscillating making noise as it creates the vacuum to starve the engine.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
If the A/C was on, you can get noise when the refrigerant pressures equalize across the expansion valve.

Murf300

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
I have a 2006 Jetta that was making a similar noise, and believe it or not, I have traced it to the windshield wipers. If I have used the wipers at all, sometimes they do not retract completely. Then, when I turn the car off they retract the rest of the way, and it makes a honking sound like a goose. Look at your wipers, and see if they are raise up a little, turn the car off, and see if they retract a little and make the noise.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
This isn't the same standard "honk" when you use the key to lock the car is it?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Murf300 said:
I have a 2006 Jetta that was making a similar noise, and believe it or not, I have traced it to the windshield wipers. If I have used the wipers at all, sometimes they do not retract completely. Then, when I turn the car off they retract the rest of the way, and it makes a honking sound like a goose. Look at your wipers, and see if they are raise up a little, turn the car off, and see if they retract a little and make the noise.
Your wipers are supposed to move like that...... It keeps them from
taking a 'set' and wearing prematurely.

'Feature, not bug.'

Bill

mnoll406

TDI
2000 Beetle GLS TDI
Hey Guys,
Traced down the problem to the NT75 valve with the help of the other TDIers at the San Diego GTG. Will be replacing that part soon.

Mike

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I had that once a couple of day's ago and one other odd sound just before that one, and nothing odd since. I don't have the foggiest idea of what it was, but it sure sounded like a goose.

Cailean

TDI
Jetta 1997 Green
Funny, I was just about to post about a honking sound... :)

Mine comes when I start the car, though, and it's somewhere between a squawk and a screech. It lasts for about a second and doesn't seem to be realted to anything - sometimes it'll happen 3 or 4 starts in a row - and nothing for a week... It almost sounds like the noise when you trun the key when the engine is already running - but not quite...

Thoughts?

VDubbing

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Galactic Blue
and I was going to ask to borrow the car once goose season comes. Those goose calls take a lot of wind to make honking noises.
Oh well maybe my car with have an N75 failure in the fall just as the geese are flying verhead and I have the shotgun loaded and ready.