Gooey mess w/ biodiesel

JamesBa

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF '02
Making a routine batch of biodiesel, the WVO titrated @ about 6. Mixed the KOH & methanol into the heated WVO. Drained the glycerine. Washed with about 15 gallons of water. Drained all but about 3 gallons off. The remaining 3 gallons were just sloppy goop.:eek: I decided to just put in the bubbler to try to dry the rest out since the bubbler blew air into the top of the tank.

A day later, I found the whole tank just turned into 30 gallons of sloppy goop.:eek::eek::eek::eek: How do I get this stuff to separate out? I've tried heating it up real hot, but it doesn't seem to be yielding the results.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Will the stuff eventually separate out w/ good biodiesel on top? How long will it take? Right now, the temperature outside is around 60 F.

pro5utah

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
It won't separate. You will need to heat it up to get it out and then you can either add it in small amounts as a way to pre-treat future batches of WVO or you can haul it to your local sewage treatment plant with your accumulated glycerin. Also you can use it as a firestarter as well.

Good luck!

-Daniel

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
You can break the emulsion with salt. Mix up some PLAIN water softener salt pellets in HOT water and mix this into the emulsion. Once the emulsion breaks, you can continue washing. What happened is that there was too much soap left in the bio when you began to bubble. Oil+water+soap=emulsion.

JamesBa

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF '02
McBrew,
Thanks for the advice. PLAIN water softener salt pellets can be purchased at the local hardware store, I assume?

JamesBa

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF '02
Use for glycerine?

According to some info posted on the thread, some people have poured back in the used glycerine byproduct in order to clear the emulsion. I'll have to try that first with a gallon test batch before I go out and buy salt pellets.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
That may work...

Home Depot/Lowes probably have the best prices on salt pellets. A local hardware store should stock them, though.

JamesBa

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF '02
Pouring in the leftover glycerine cleared it up right away. I'll just let it settle, drain it off, and then wash again. Thanks for the input!

blankenman

TDI
none
Another additive you can use for future use is white distilled vinegar to break the emulsion up and to prevent soap emulsion occurring. Utah biodiesel has many articles pertaining to this.