Golf Wagon skid plate vs coolant heater?

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Golf Wagon, 97 Golf Turbo Diesel
I'm looking for a skid plate for my 2012 Golf Wagon (Canada) aka JSW (USA).

The Canadian TDI wagons came with a plug-in heater (coolant heater? - I haven't looked under the front of the car yet; it's been raining non-stop here).

Looking at the Evolution Osiris skid plate
https://www.evolutionimport.com/Osiris-Skid-Plate-Kit-For-MK5-VW-Jetta-MK6-Golf-p/a3007.htm

I notice one reviewer stated that the plate didn't fit (?) with the coolant heater.
I've sent an email to info@evolutionimports.com and I'll report on their response.
Does anybody have experience with this?

Alternatives?

Thanks

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Pretty sure (could be wrong though, someone please correct me in that case) the plug in is for a block heater. A coolant heater, like a Webasto is something entirely different.

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
Pretty sure (could be wrong though, someone please correct me in that case) the plug in is for a block heater. A coolant heater, like a Webasto is something entirely different.
Thanks for that.

It's pretty confusing to me.
The plastic 'skid plate' engine cover was concealing the connection to the bumper power jack, so I couldn't find much just now, with the car on the street.

This thread:
https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=269724
indicates it's an inline coolant heater.
"The block doesn't have freeze plugs therefore there's no place to put a "block" heater. The factory coolant heater plumbs into a coolant line just like the aftermarket ones."

Other folks online claim it is a block heater (replacing a frost plug in the block?), others say it is an oil pan heater. Different era VWs probably have different types?

Anyway, it's the fit of the skid pan that concerns me - living on the Pacific coast, I don't need an engine (or battery) heater. I left those concepts behind when I moved from Ontario... :)

I'd be inclined to think that if the plastic pan fits, the skid plate will too, but 'ya never know', and shipping back an aluminum or steel skid plate could be expensive.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
diesel geek still make skid plates and brackets? i loved mine on my MK5 jetta (same as the mk6 GSW you guys have up north)

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
Neil at Evolution did get back to me promptly - I've been busy so didn't update this discussion.

I haven’t really heard of any issues with the VW OEM heaters but I have with the Frost Heaters hanging too low and hitting the skid plate. I wish I had more info for you on this.
Cheers.

NEIL THIBODEAU
EVOLUTIONIMPORT.COM
250-963-3232