Golf Mark 4 PD 130

KyleMark4TDI

TDI
Golf Mark 4 ATD.
Hello all,
I found massive help when I was building my PD 100 from you all as well as on the Facebook Group so I'd like to thank you all for that. I built that thing and got 200 reliable horsepower from it on the dyno off a 17/22 which was quite brilliant, however, being the TDi fan that I am, I decided I want to go bigger and better... therefore... I present you... the Beast.
-

Anyway, so this was born with an AHF engine but the previous owner replaced both the gearbox (From a 5 speed to a 6 speed) and the engine to a PD 130 one. An ASZ.
I am currently in the process of buying a Darkside Front Mount Kit and will be going for the 2060 VKLR turbo as I heard good things about it. (If you have any feedback on the turbo, that would be appreciated)
With that said however Beast had its clutched replaced literally six months ago with the original Dual Mass Clutch they come with. Therefore I'd rather burn the clutch out with the 2060 VKLR before replacing it. What do you guys think? Is that doable?

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
First thing, Sweet looking ride

Second, where are you sourcing your 2060vklr? If you're getting one I highly suggest not getting one with a welded 1.9 manifold to it. If you want to do it right you will need to purchase a 2260vk exhaust housing and have it machined to fit the VKLR then you can use one of the multiple tubular exhaust manifolds.

Why should you do it this way you might ask? Well with the 1.9 manifold welded to the the 2060 it drops the turbo way to low so you basically end up draining your oil back to the engine with no slope or you end up creating a p-trap. This is a big no no with turbos as it will cook the oil and ruin the chra.

For an easier route you could go with the 2260vk and just not worry about the challenge of finding an exhaust housing. I can't honestly say if the vklr is worth the few hundred rpm lower lag for the amount of money it cost to convert. But I haven't driven mine yet or one with a vk in it.

I know all this because I literally just did it. Total cost 400 euros for a housing and then another 230 euros for the machining. After I already spent extra money on a alh manifold welded to the stock housing. If you can find a used 2260vk housing it might be worth it. But I had no luck finding one however I live in the states and maybe you are able to salvage one from a junk yard.

Last edited:

KyleMark4TDI

TDI
Golf Mark 4 ATD.
Where I live TDis are rare. Everyone is absolutely going mental with Hondas and I'm sitting there like... "It's a stock Diesel but I bet I can give you a run for your money."

Lmao. Anyway, I decided I'm going with the 2056VK instead though. My tuner / mechanic said that there is absolutely no point in going the VKLR route without actually swapping the camshaft and the injectors as the PD 130/50 injectors will only lead me up to 250 - 260. Way cheaper as well. I'm talking about 500 euro cheaper.

Thanks for the sweet ride comment by the way. Appreciated. What I'm worried about though is the stock (brand new) clutch. Whether it will hold or not. I'm not expecting too much of it but I don't just wanna throw it away, ya feel me?

chris7

TDI
Ibiza FR TDI
PD130/150 injector limit is 220/230 hp. You are not getting anywhere near 250 with stock injectors without another added fuel source like methanol. If you are going to keep the stock injectors, buy a GTB1756VK and expect no more than 230hp. Bigger injectors and a GTB2056 will get you to 250. To go over 250 you need a new camshaft and headwork is recommended. In any case, for safety and reliability reasons, I recommend PD150 head bolts as they will eliminate head lifting problems.

KyleMark4TDI

TDI
Golf Mark 4 ATD.
I have a friend that has a PD 150 that runs the 2056VK that made 243 on the dyno and 480NM.

As for the head bolts, that's something I'm definitely adding. Haha, I'd be crazy not to.

What do you think about the clutch though?

majesty78

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 3T5 CFFB
Forget thos dyno numbers.....

You need to go stupid/unsafe duration already with 220hp. I would never recommend this to anyone with stock PD150 injectors.

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
I put down on a dyno 200whp and 300wtq on my PD130 with GTB1756VK. You will need bigger injectors if you want to go beyond that, as mentionned above.

I was going to put larger injectors with bigger turbo but end up selling the car. Still have the injectors for sale if you want to go there, otherwise, you should strongly consider the GTB1756VK, it has a very interesting spool.

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
As far as cam and porting goes, I'll always argue against that as a needed item unless you're drag racing and running at top rpm. Otherwise they are worthless to the general tdi enthusiast.

2056 will make your life much easier in the modification. also yes you will most likely burn the clutch on hard pulls so will probably need to upgrade. Good luck with the build!

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Like FraggyTDI mentioned you have an amazing looking ride. I have the Bora R bumper on my Jetta with a Cupra R lip, so I can relate to taking the time to build the car up the right way.

As far as the injectors you asked about from Gigger is that they are BEW injectors with +80% Firad nozzles on them. They actually used to be in a car I purchased and I decided that it needed +120% Firad nozzles to get the most out of it while shortening the injection window to cut down on smoke.
His for sale thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=469160

Before you pick your turbo you really need to figure out what you're going to be using the car for...track, street, drag strip, etc.
Because that will dictate if you go with a smaller turbo like the GTD1549vz or a GTB2265vk. Personally if I could put any turbo on my car it would be a GTD1756vrk from Here If you have the fabrication skills or know of someone with the skills this would be an awesome turbo for maxing out PD150 injectors or +80% Firad nozzles/R783 nozzles on a set of PD injectors would make for one quick car imo.

Some other options that would be easier are these.
GTB1756vk Budget kit
GTB2260vk on 1.9TDI Collector

I'm not sure if you have a LSD installed in your car, but you should strongly consider putting one in your car if you are going to upgrade to a bigger turbo. Otherwise it'll be quite hard to put that power to the ground.

KyleMark4TDI

TDI
Golf Mark 4 ATD.
I did a little upgrade on my car.

I'm thinking of going with the 2060 VKLR however. My goals are to drive it daily but have quite a bit of poke, enough poke to take it to the drag strip 3 - 4 times a year.

How much would an LSD cost around? And I messaged you back regarding the injectors! :)

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Any chance you could resize that picture? it won't even fit on my 22" monitor.:D

Anywho, the 3 viable options seem to be Peloquin, Quaife, and Wavetrac.

Some reading material for you to help you decide which one to go with. LSD

The price really varies for all 3 with Wavetrac being the most expensive. The Wavetrac will give you the most traction out of the three on slippery conditions.

I'm going to guess that your car has a 6 speed, so I'll list that 1st then the 5 speed next.
Just a heads up, but most Quaife differentials don't come with upgraded ARP hardware like Peloquin and Wavetrac do.
Quaife 02M
Quaife 02J

Peloquin 02M
Peloquin 02J

Wavetrac Price list
Wavetrac 02M
Wavetrac 02J

Hope that helps.