TDI
Golf 6 Tdi
Morning all!
I'm a newbie at the forum...
Hope someone can help me!
Here is my stats:
2011 Golf 6 tdi 1.6
86k km on it
had the cam belt changed about 5k km back with full service.

The problem that I have is I get a lot of white smoke and rough idle on start-up,but only if the car stands for a while eg overnight...
when the car gets temperature there is nothing wrong with it,no smoke and no rough idle????
What I have tried :
New glow plugs... (tested each 1 and power to each 1)
Drained all the diesel and replaced the diesel filter (if water was in my tank)
Removed the injectors got the cleaned and tested (100%)

I got no idea what to check for next????

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Hi. Why did you replace the cambelt? It was supposed to be changed at 180k km mark but not 80k km mark.
Also, did you notice this problem after the cambelt service or was it present before it too?

Doepie

TDI
Golf 6 Tdi
Hi Henrick

VW insited that it should be changed, I'm in RSA and VW here recommended cambelt change is on 90k km,on the major service. No problem was before the cambelt and even no problem after 5k km after the cambelt change the problem occurd.

I'm taking the car to a friend of a friend who does ecu software and diagnostics
He will have a look at all the stats and see if there is anything irregularly.

I bought the car second hand (had 30k km) on it... don't know if the previous owner maby did software and somehow got corrupted or something...

can't loose anything... so will give him a try....

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't start messing with aftermarket software.
Also, ensure your ECM software version is "9971". If it is lower than that, visit your dealership and pay the money to have it updated. 9971 had lots of problems solved for the 1.6 TDI engines, it noticeable improves the performance of the car.

Doepie

TDI
Golf 6 Tdi
He only did a scan for me,but no errors was to be found and everything was as normal (tested on operating temperature). Last night I did a visual scan over the motor and saw something that looked a bit weird to me?? the 2 injectors closest to the cam belt was dry at the top,where it is inserted in the head and the 2 far right ones had like a diesel sweat like on them??? well I had them tested and all was 100% but i don't know if they just tested the spray patterns or the seals as well??? Could that possibly create a small air leakage or something?

Doepie

TDI
Golf 6 Tdi
Just an update...
No luck yet finding the problem, car was at VW here and they suggested it could be the time that is a bit out... they checked it and adjusted it a bit,and still no luck!
Still white smoke on a cold start,as soon as it gets temperature its all back to normal,with no problems at all!

Doepie

TDI
Golf 6 Tdi
My fuel economy haven't change still get 900km+ on a tank... Will make a clip this afternoon or tomorrow morning.... have been driving 150km + a day with it... no problems at all,only first cold start...

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
Sounds like the Intercooler has some moisture in it yes? Have you had any intercooler issues in the past. I say this, but admittedly I don't know what all the differences are between European TDi's and american. I assume the 1.6 is mainly just the smaller engine than the 2.0... if it is the intercooler, just give it some hard pulls near the end of your commute. That will help remove moisture buildup.

Doepie

TDI
Golf 6 Tdi
Thanks... have tied that as well,thanks! but still no luck! One of my friends suggested that it may be the turbo seals that is busy going out,but the car still pulls strong! Is it possible that the seals "shrink" when its cold and let some oil trough that cause the white smoke? and when it starts to heat up the seals seal again??? Think I must let the car cool down and then remove the pipe to the turbo and see if there is any oil visible...

larrynsr

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagon White TDI 6MT
Check for any air leaks in the fuel system. The fuel lines could of been disrupted/installed incorrectly when the timing belt was done.

Doepie

TDI
Golf 6 Tdi
Haven't looked so close yet,will have a closer look this afternoon as well and give feedback,but wont that cause white smoke the whole time??? it only give white smoke when the motor is cold.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sounds like the Intercooler has some moisture in it yes? Have you had any intercooler issues in the past. I say this, but admittedly I don't know what all the differences are between European TDi's and american. I assume the 1.6 is mainly just the smaller engine than the 2.0... if it is the intercooler, just give it some hard pulls near the end of your commute. That will help remove moisture buildup.
This is not an issue. Seems that 1.6 is a completely different animal. It doesn't have the exhaust flap, the EGR filter, thus no LP EGR system. Icing is not an issue in Europe (yet).

larrynsr

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagon White TDI 6MT
Haven't looked so close yet,will have a closer look this afternoon as well and give feedback,but wont that cause white smoke the whole time??? it only give white smoke when the motor is cold.
No, because the air will eventually work it's way out of the fuel system. I have a similar problem (white smoke, rough idle) with my Dodge cummins. It will only happen if I let it sit for more than a week. It will start great until I let it sit again for more than a week again. Its so minor that I just don't bother with it. Worth a shot!

alberg

Veteran Member
TDI
1.6 Tdi CR
New 1.6tdi have now water intercooler.
As for this case i think you may have a bad injector.
When in cold does the engine respond or you hear knocking and.when pressing gas the engine doesn't responde.

Doepie

TDI
Golf 6 Tdi
Just an update again.... Injectors and compression was tested again... all is 100%
and it still smokes when cold with a strong smell of diesel....

Falkirk107

TDI
Golf 6 1.6Tdi 105 DSG
Mine does the same.. I also have a 1.6tdi and from lately it started starting difficult when cold and then a lot of smoke. 3 of the 4 injectors was replaced on 40 000km. Now I have 90 000km 2010 model. From Cape Town.

molnar.adam17

TDI
Audi A1 1.6 TDI CAYC
Hi Guys,
I have a same problem I get a lot of white smoke and rough idle (It's not very bad, but you can hear that it's not completely even.) with a strong smell of diesel on start-up,but only if the engine is cold and the weather is warmer than around 20 degree. In cold weather i have no problem when the car raises idle (1000Rpm). After a few minutes, as it starts to warm up a bit, it stops smoking.
-No DPF
-New injectors
-New cambelt
-New clutch
-Change the fuel filter in every 20.000km

Somebody can help me what the problem is and how can i fix it?
Audi 1.6 TDI CAYC 105HP 2010