Golf 4Motion Built thread - Holset DSS Darkside

Selle

TDI
2000 Golf AGR 4Motion
I have had this car for about one year. Before this I had a 2001 Golf wagon 1.6 petrol 105hp, but after a friend (Alcaid on this forum) had sent me links to TDI 4Motion for sale for several months, this one showed up locally, and it was cheap.

First I want to stress that English is not my first language, so I will apologize for spelling mistakes in advance

Over to the car. It is a 2000 Golf TDI with four-wheel drive. Engine code is AGR, 90hp from factory. AGR is the same as a ALH, but this has wastegate turbo from the factory. Alcaid "promised" that we would get it over 200 hp (flywheel) without putting too much money in it :rolleyes:

First pictures after picking it up

Partslist so far:
-Holset HE200W turbo
-Clutch kit from Darkside Developments
-Darkside Developments SMIC kit
-DSS R .280 Nozzles
-ARL intake maifold
-3 Bar MAP
-2.5" home made exhaust

One of the main reason for this car to be this cheap was that the clutch was blown. Gearbox on this is 02C 5 speed. I bought a clutch kit from Darkside, single-mass flywheel, upgraded pressure plate and the disk is organic on one side and sintered on the other

Changing the clutch on 4motion cars is a pain, so that job was outsourced to a workshop. I realy like this clutch, the pedal is a bit heavier, but still no problem to run it daily, and it grabs very good

The Project is almost done so more entries is coming soon

Last edited:

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
Nice work is that sinter on pic. ? So dss r.280 nozzles woth 10mm pump

Selle

TDI
2000 Golf AGR 4Motion
Not sure of that Picture, its stolen from Alcaid. As I understand, ​​Darkside originally had 2 of these discs made, one sitting in my car, the other sitting in a friends mk1 golf 1.6TD, also with a Holset turbo

Yep, dss r.280 on a 10mm pump

Dorkage

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Wagon TDI, 2004 Golf R32
So to be clear, the 5 speed MK4 4motions don't use a 02M box like the TTs? Any info on the transferbox ratio and the rear diff ratio. Apparently the 6speed haldex cars have a 17/27 tooth count on the rear diff.

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
It is an organic/feramic silent 02A/02C/02J single mass FW clutch kit from Darkside with an upgraded pressure plate, same setup in my Jetta 1.6TTD as well ;)

02C on the 5-speed versions, 02M on the 6-speed ones. Lucky bastard can run a single mass flywheel without gearbox sounding like it will self destruct and car shake like crazy in the midrange like 02M SMF does.

Selle

TDI
2000 Golf AGR 4Motion
First thing I did afte the clutch got replaced was to get a tune. That woke it up well

I did 2 track day weekends with it last summer. First one went well, a bit slow on the straights, but very fun. One the second event, the plastic pipe from the ic to the egr popped off, and the power steering pump chewed a nice hole in it. The drive home vas fun, 320 miles in limp mode…

As they say, if it breaks, upgrade, so I ordered a Darkside upgrade SMIC

The turbo arrived too, Holset HE200W. Alcaid has the specifications if anyone is interested

Nothing happened this fall, but I did a track day weekend on ice this winter. That was extremely fun

If someone is interested, there are many videos on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC4nJfH7ys4

My car can be seen at 3:55. There is also a small demonstration of the pulling force of the Amaroc pickup at 14:20
In my next reply, I will get to the actual built part of the project

Last edited:

Dorkage

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Wagon TDI, 2004 Golf R32
It is an organic/feramic silent 02A/02C/02J single mass FW clutch kit from Darkside with an upgraded pressure plate, same setup in my Jetta 1.6TTD as well ;)
02C on the 5-speed versions, 02M on the 6-speed ones. Lucky bastard can run a single mass flywheel without gearbox sounding like it will self destruct and car shake like crazy in the midrange like 02M SMF does.
How hard is it to come across the transfer box for the MK4 02C? I was thinking about doing a 4motion swap in the future, but would like to keep my stage 4 228mm clutch. If I can get a 02c and a transferbox it would be much easier to just get a passenger side axle for the car instead of both axles, starter, clutch, flywheel, etc.

And is the 02C in the MK4 the same as in the B4 (or was it B3) Passat Syncros in Canada?

Sorry for derailing the thread so much, just trying to get some info that is unknown in North America.

Selle

TDI
2000 Golf AGR 4Motion
I found a couple of 02c gearboxes fore sale in Norway, Complete with transfer Box they cost between 1100 and 1800 usd. Checked in Sweden, found a couple there too, same prices, but all had gasoline gear ratios

Best place to look is probably Germany, but I do not think it is the gearbox it is easiest to find. Gearbox codes of the Passat Syncro can be found in ETKA

Selle

TDI
2000 Golf AGR 4Motion
Now it's finally time for the modifications

First the last Picture of the car Stock

First I pulled off the IC and the piping, inlet manifold, EGR valve and oil supply line

Original vs darkside intercooler

Next the Stock turbo came out. The Pictures is a bit crapy, but the Holset is quite a bit larger.

A friend had a exhaust manifold lying around from his previous built, but I could not use it as the turbo would have been standing straight out, as there was no room for downpipe

The solution was to weld a T25 flange on the stock exhaust manifold

The turbo mounted on the manifold and custom wastegate actuator bracket

Some more Pictures of the turbo

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
This is pretty sweet! 4motion, TDI, manual transmission -- jealous!

Selle

TDI
2000 Golf AGR 4Motion
4Motion really makes these cars good drivers cars. I have had a front Wheel drive wagon for 6 years, the 4Motion cars takes the corners alot better, since they have individual rear suspension. Driving this car on narrow winding Norwegian mountain roads is the most fun I have ever had!

No VNT is plug and play on the AGR engine, the Holset is cheap and can take som serious beating

Selle

TDI
2000 Golf AGR 4Motion
Modified downpipe

Custom 2.5" exhaust

PD150 intake

Recaro interior from a GTI

Selle

TDI
2000 Golf AGR 4Motion
I have not done much with the car in the summer, but I have driven it a lot

first it was track day weekend on a track called Vålerbanen. Sadly I do not have any pictures from that event. The weekend went well, but I found out that it is time to do something about the brakes

I spent a week at the cabin in the mountains, on July 10, I took this photo

I have to now run on LRR tires, these had zero grip, so bought a set of 225/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2

I did another track day weekend in August, this time on a track called Rudskogen. It rained most of the weekend, but it was still very fun. When it finally stopped raining, the tires worked extremely well, but EBC YellowStuff R brake pads that I had ordered did not arrive in time, so the brakes were a little sketchy

I'm still running a first edition tune, and we believe the wastegate actuator rod needs adjustment, the boost pressure comes a little late, and I have a little lag when I change gear, so it's still a bit to do

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
any updates on this project? I'm fitting a similar setup into my audi 90 quattro.

leon10tagg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 90bhp ALH tdi, 2002 Golf PD100, 2004 Passat 1.9PD AWX, 2001 Golf 4-Motion, 1997 Audi A4 1.8t sport, 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.0t WRX
What sort of power is the holset he200 capable of supporting?

leon10tagg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 90bhp ALH tdi, 2002 Golf PD100, 2004 Passat 1.9PD AWX, 2001 Golf 4-Motion, 1997 Audi A4 1.8t sport, 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.0t WRX
260-270bhp on a TDI
What is the next size of turbo up from this one which would run with 11mm IP, .275 nozzles and high lift cam?
Would a he211w suit?

Last edited:

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
HE211W is slightly smaller. Next step up is a HE221W but with a small (5-5.5cm) turbine housing. Up to 300bhp on a 1.9TDI but more noticable lag

leon10tagg

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok its for my AGR engined car for drag runs.....can you get a he221w?

camboscams

TDI
2014 JSW Stg 2 Malone, CP3 HPFP
^^^^^As many others have noted, Alcaid is top notch to deal with. I just installed a HE200wg on my 81 rabbit with his consultation. It runs beautiful, and it is the best turbo i have had yet.

Selle

TDI
2000 Golf AGR 4Motion
any updates on this project? I'm fitting a similar setup into my audi 90 quattro.
I haven't done much the last year other than drive it, but I did find out that the wastegate was not closing properly, so back in January I adjusted the tension. Spoolup was 3300rpm, after adjusting the wastegate I now have full boost at 2600 rpm. I am also running 1.9 bar now, 1.7 before.
In February I took it to another ice-racing event. A buddy had some problems with his mk4 R32, so I got to try his set of rally spec ice-racing-tires. Driving with these tires are quite strange, you know that driving on ice, but you have extremely high grip and can hold ridiculously high speed through corners.

Cold start in the morning :rolleyes:

I did to track day weekends this summer, here is one picture from Rudskogen

Plans now is to get the car to pass inspection, in Norway all cars have to get inspected every other year, and more ore less all of my modifications is illegal. I also have a sound in 3rd gear, so I'm hunting for a new gearbox

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Any threads on the AWD conversion?

Nice car, :p

pl4life52

TDI
2002 Golf ALH
the build is looking good :D, those ice tires look awesome.

is Holset HE200W possible on a ALH tdi with some manifold modification? IDK if this the right place to ask, i tried finding some more info through google but got nothing. My VNT is dirty and lacking boost but cant open to clean it (rusted shut) looking for other options and this might be one?