Going to Mexico

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
Since purchasing our JSW in April 2014 we've put 35,000 miles on the odometer. We're in northern California and have made trips to LA, Laughlin, NV, Pine Top, AZ and Palm Springs. We average over 40 MPG primarily on two lane roads, occasionally towing one of my motorcycles or my ATV on a trailer, and usually at least 5 MPH over the posted speed limit.

Our upcoming trip will be to San Felipe, Mexico in about two weeks. It's about a 12 hour drive, so we'll spend the first night in Palm Springs visiting with friends, then depart for San Felipe the following morning.

While we also have a Mercedes E350 Blu Tec, we find our little VW more comfortable on long trips, and with our 6 sp manual and a Malone 1.5 tune it's always a fun car to drive. Plenty of power and great handling for a wagon.

I consider it one of my best purchases in vehicles.

Stan

TurboModified

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
Hi Stan. Sounds like a fun trip ahead of you. I have personally never been to the west coast of Mexico, but I'm currently living in the Yucatan. We've driven our 03 Jetta back and forth from Houston to here about 4 times now. The car has usually averaged 45 mpg and never given us any problems with the exception of a MAF sensor that failed while in Monterrey. My fault for buying a cheap one, but we simply unplugged it & continued on our way.
Anyway, safe travels and if you get a chance, post some pics of the trip, would love to see them!

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
Since purchasing our JSW in April 2014 we've put 35,000 miles on the odometer. We're in northern California and have made trips to LA, Laughlin, NV, Pine Top, AZ and Palm Springs. We average over 40 MPG primarily on two lane roads, occasionally towing one of my motorcycles or my ATV on a trailer, and usually at least 5 MPH over the posted speed limit.

Our upcoming trip will be to San Felipe, Mexico in about two weeks. It's about a 12 hour drive, so we'll spend the first night in Palm Springs visiting with friends, then depart for San Felipe the following morning.

While we also have a Mercedes E350 Blu Tec, we find our little VW more comfortable on long trips, and with our 6 sp manual and a Malone 1.5 tune it's always a fun car to drive. Plenty of power and great handling for a wagon.

I consider it one of my best purchases in vehicles.

Stan
Just wondering what is about the sport wagon that makes you feel more comfortable than being in an E350?

M. Tummi

TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
DPF delete? Is there USLD in San Felipe?
I just came back from Sahuayo de Morelos, Michoacan, Mexico and, as expected, I did not see any Pemex stations while I was there that carried ULSD.

However, it appears that Baja California may have ULSD at least in the northern parts. I am not sure if San Felipe is included:

"The efforts of the Mexican government to make ULSD available have met with limited success so far. Owners of vehicles which run on ULSD can purchase the fuel in Northern Baja. Unfortunately, PEMEX gas stations located in Southern Baja sell only LSD fuel brought from the mainland. To find the stations with ULSD, look for the words "bajo azufre", which translated means “low-sulfur“, below the word "Diesel" on the gas station signage.

UPDATE: 12/03/2015
ULSD (UBA) ultra low sulfur diesel is now available all over the northern states including Baja California Norte and Sonora. Nearly all stations in this region only carry low sulfur diesel and DO NOT carry regular diesel any longer."

Source: http://www.bajagoodlifenews.com/2011/11/pemex-facts-about-ultra-low-sulfur.html

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
Yeah, I'd like to take our Jetta to Cabo but it would require some modification first. bajanomads.com can be a good source for road conditions and ULSD availability on the peninsula. Lots of horror stories on there about clogged dpfs.

fabed23

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta ALH - 5spd
Safe travels! I hope you enjoy the road! Mexico is still beautiful! I have taken my ALH from NC to Monterrey and back many times and has yet to fail me. I just wish we had an ALH in a van and it'd be go time.

WardB

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB
Probably off topic, but did you need a current passport to get over and back?

M. Tummi

TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Probably off topic, but did you need a current passport to get over and back?
As far as the law goes, Mexico requires you to have one as of 2010: http://mexico.usembassy.gov/eng/eacs_sheet.html

Also, coming back you need a passport or enhanced driver's license as well, however not having those things will not necessarily prevent entry back into the U.S., but might delay the process. http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

I have been told that you can get away will traveling to mexico and back to the U.S. still with only a birth certificate, but I wouldn't risk running into trouble. Especially when you can apply at a Passport Agency in person and get a passport within 24 hours if need be by showing travel plans within two weeks. https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/where-to-apply.html

I receieved mine within 48 hours. I applied on Monday and got my passport on Wednesday and flew to Mexico on Sunday. :D