Going to check EGR, do I need new bolts and gaskets?

dugslug

TDI
2004 jetta wagon, manual, 250K miles
Due to some sluggishness in the higher RPM range, I think I will check the EGR for plugging. Do I need to have a gasket and bolt kit ready to replace such items, or can I peek in without having to get all the replacement parts?

I was reading through some of the posts and the article on TDI Club of how to do the whole cleaning process, but didn't see a distinct method described for "just looking and assessing". Any ideas?

Doug

I'm not sure if my signature is going to post, so I have a 2004 Jetta Wagon TDI, manual 5-speed, 85k miles

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
Also check your lift pump function. Remove rear seat and listen for pump sound when the key is turned to the "on" postion (but not started). You should hear the pump for 2 seconds or so. Some of the 2004s are able to run with the lift pump dead, but experience performance issues.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
You can unbolt your EGR actuator with the 3 bolts that hold the valve and actuator into the EGR valve body, and remove it by pulling straight forward.

Clean the valve and actuator while you have it out.
Have a shop vac ready to reach in to the intake and pickup any clods of carbon that have fallen off at the edges - you do not want them going through your engine.

Put nothing else down the intake - no sprays, or mechanical cleaners.

I agree with 'buddy that it is more liable to be your lift pump.

dugslug

TDI
2004 jetta wagon, manual, 250K miles
Thanks! So I replaced the in-tank fuel pump and things got quite a bit better. I'll probably leave it at that. Is it worth checking out the EGR for plugging issues if things are running fine? I just got this car and I'm in the mood to tinker with it.

DanG144, are those 3 bolts you talk about removing the type that need replacing after they are removed? I see that the idparts place sells an EGR cleaning kit that includes bolts. I don't want to get into things at this point if I need gaskets, o-rings and bolts.

Once again, thanks for nailing the lift pump as the prime suspect! Replacing it solved a loping idle issue as well.

Doug

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I never replace the EGR bolts as a routine; I don't think it is required in this case.
But if you live in a climate that produces corrosion, you may want to have them handy. They would be really handy if one or more of the bolt heads stripped.

I usually get away with re-using the old gaskets and O-rings as well. Typically the inspections that I get into are not well-planned, but spur of the moment. When there is time to pre-plan, I suggest the owner's get new gaskets and O-rings. I generally have enough spare bolts laying around.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
IIRC, I had to use the ball type allen wrenches when removing my EGR. This is due to the angle at which one or more of the bolts sits.