Going to be a very busy day: turbo, injectors, tune, gauge cluster, pd150.....

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
1984 CJ w/ ALH and 1994 XJ w/ PD150/ALH hybrid
Well I'm going to have a very busy day. Have a ton of parts I've been sitting on due to deployments, but going to get the majority of them done today. After the turbo, injectors, ECU, PD150, new glow plugs and harness, boost and egt gauges for today I have to eventually install my colt stage 2, ARP head studs, and then the cosmetic things! This car has quickly become my most favorite project car I've owned.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Well I'm going to have a very busy day. Have a ton of parts I've been sitting on due to deployments, but going to get the majority of them done today. After the turbo, injectors, ECU, PD150, new glow plugs and harness, boost and egt gauges for today I have to eventually install my colt stage 2, ARP head studs, and then the cosmetic things! This car has quickly become my most favorite project car I've owned.
Same here...these cars have their flaws but all in all I enjoy them.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
That's cool. What turbo and nozzles? Are you going to swap the nozzles yourself? I strongly urge you to have them pop tested, not everyone can do it. And for the price, karma is the way to go on the hot swap program.

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
Turbo is 1752MFS and injectors are .230. Injectors are brand new, and I'm a diesel mechanic for the Coast Guard so have access to pop testers. So far the car is a monster!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
just so you know, TDI injectors are a bit different from cummins or brigs and other type of diesel injectors. you need to pop test them at an idle state and at the RPM value (pulse) you want to make peek power by shimming them, so based on your build, something like 5,000 rpms? not sure what pulse Hz that is. food for thought. watch out for those EGT's too.
any upgrade to the FMIC?

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
any upgrade to the FMIC?
Thank you for the advice. Currently I'm looking into an FMIC kit, but not finding too much as far as a complete kit. EGT probe is installed, just need to wire up the gauge in the cab. It's already mounted with a boost gauge in the steering column.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dont get me started on gauges, its best for EGT at least to run a multimeter relay, auber gauges are awesome, you can wire in the brake pedal to defuel if it gets to hot.

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
Never heard of running a relay for an EGT..can you explain?

For the FMIC I just ordered from Darkside. Should be sweet!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5

These are the best gauges ever made, originally designed for commercial food and prcosses equipment, all gauges are exactly the same (same model just different color)
The part you want is the absolute PSI boost pickup, EGT probe, oil PSI transducer and so on.

Next time you drive, put the brake pedal down while you hold down your speed with the accelerator. The ECU will "defuel" into a low fuel map, it’s a safety thing.

These gauges have a relay built in to them. You set the parameters you want, and run an alarm, led, whatever you want.

I have done some crazy stuff with these like controlling water injections based on PSI, and get temps

I also have the relay on the EGT set to trigger at 1580 on and off at 1420 and I have the wire from the brake switch under the brake pedal wired into the relay.

SO if my egt's go off the charts, at 1420 the water injection will start pre turbo, at 1520 the 2nd stage of water injection starts POST turbo right before the manifold air temp sensor. The 3rd stage is at 1550, that’s when an additional fogger kicks in that adds a light fog into the 4 ports on my pd150 intake with water meth blend 85% water.
if for some reason and it does happen, that the EGT's reach 1580 then the ecu will think that the brake is applied even though I have my foot down on the accelerator and defaults to a defuel mode.

I have found that with my gt2052, 764's and my ghetto set up that those numbers seem to be the most reliable but I have been messing with different injection pressures and orifice sizes. I never got the system working to where I felt that it was good enough for someone else to install it and my turbo blew up for other but related reasons and is now on the shelf for my 944 swap. so I never finished it but I was able to keep the egt's at bay very well and incase anything like OIL psi, lack of boot, boost spikes, EGT issues and even coolant temps all triggered this defuel mod, all done 100% with these gauges, very easily.
I’m sure you could do it with a raspberry pi now days but once I got into gauges and found these guys, I’m sold. Also they have EPIC customer service.

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5

These are the best gauges ever made, originally designed for commercial food and prcosses equipment, all gauges are exactly the same (same model just different color)
The part you want is the absolute PSI boost pickup, EGT probe, oil PSI transducer and so on.

Next time you drive, put the brake pedal down while you hold down your speed with the accelerator. The ECU will "defuel" into a low fuel map, it’s a safety thing.

These gauges have a relay built in to them. You set the parameters you want, and run an alarm, led, whatever you want.

I have done some crazy stuff with these like controlling water injections based on PSI, and get temps

I also have the relay on the EGT set to trigger at 1580 on and off at 1420 and I have the wire from the brake switch under the brake pedal wired into the relay.

SO if my egt's go off the charts, at 1420 the water injection will start pre turbo, at 1520 the 2nd stage of water injection starts POST turbo right before the manifold air temp sensor. The 3rd stage is at 1550, that’s when an additional fogger kicks in that adds a light fog into the 4 ports on my pd150 intake with water meth blend 85% water.
if for some reason and it does happen, that the EGT's reach 1580 then the ecu will think that the brake is applied even though I have my foot down on the accelerator and defaults to a defuel mode.

I have found that with my gt2052, 764's and my ghetto set up that those numbers seem to be the most reliable but I have been messing with different injection pressures and orifice sizes. I never got the system working to where I felt that it was good enough for someone else to install it and my turbo blew up for other but related reasons and is now on the shelf for my 944 swap. so I never finished it but I was able to keep the egt's at bay very well and incase anything like OIL psi, lack of boot, boost spikes, EGT issues and even coolant temps all triggered this defuel mod, all done 100% with these gauges, very easily.
I’m sure you could do it with a raspberry pi now days but once I got into gauges and found these guys, I’m sold. Also they have EPIC customer service.
I've never heard of them before, but this sounds totally awesome. Redundancy, built upon redundancy to protect. I'm going to look into this more. I'm currently in the 1200's for EGT, so I'm thinking i'm good for now. That said, I'm always in pursuit of more power with everything I own, so I don't think the VW will be any different!

Thanks again for the info. I'm sure I'll be reaching out later for more information on this setup.