Glowplug light blinking??

pmich

TDI
2002 golf tdi
Hi,

The glowplug light on my 2002 TDI comes on about 60 seconds after the car starts and will not shut off. The car runs great does any one have a clue whats up???

Thanks.................:confused: :confused: :confused:

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
I think I remember that the glowplug light is used as well as a brake light alarm... fuse blown, bad brake lifgt switch. Anybody confirm this?

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Do check the brake lights. It could be the bulbs or brake switch. Other possibilities exist if the brake light system works. Also check the cruise control. Does it work?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Past experience found on this forum quite often is that if the glow plugs come on about a minute after starting, there is a glow plug fault. THat is covered in the glow plug 101 thread.

Since It's eaiser to check the brake lights first check them and check to see if the cruise control works to eliminate that fault.

NorthernMage

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, 6MT, Platinum Grey
The glow plug light blinking could be brake electrical problems, either the switch, a fuse or a bulb. That spot on the cluster is used for electrical problems in the gassers, I don't think it throws a code unless it stays on so it is probably a brake light system warning. You should update your location, if you are in Canada the VW recall campaign for the brake switch was WX, the TC Recall # is 2004075. There was also a recall for the Hazard Switch which was VX, TC# 2004436. There was another recall on some of the ABS Control Units as well but don't know if this would affect your Glow Plug warning lights, it was WJ, TC # 2002028. These are the only recalls I could find relating to brake or warning lights for the 2002 model year. I am not sure if the NHTSA has similar recalls/TSBs in the US.

pmich

TDI
2002 golf tdi
Thanks guys. My cruze is also out.. I think I got it now

paul

BaconGrease

TDI
Jetta, 1998, green
My glowplug indicator started to blink when I needed to change my fuel filter. Check your engine fault codes with VAG-COM.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
Switch

pmich said:
Hi,

The glowplug light on my 2002 TDI comes on about 60 seconds after the car starts and will not shut off. The car runs great does any one have a clue whats up???

Thanks.................:confused: :confused: :confused:
I have a 2000 Jetta that had the same problem. After having someone tell me they need to replace the wiring all the way back to the Computer, I did a little searching here. With in a couple of days my brake lights were staying on. I had a guy order me a new brake light switch and when it came in he plugged it in and it still did the same thing. Well he didn't stand for that and then took apart the new switch and found it was out of wack from the factory. He turned a piece inside of it and now it works fine. It fixed the Cruse control the glow light flashing and the brake lights that stayed on.

a_lab_lover

TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI
Glow plug light for me, too!

Hi. I'm new to the list. Last weekend the glow plug light went on while I was driving. Yesterday, the cruise control would not come on...but this afternoon it worked fine. Any feedback on the steps I should follow to troubleshoot this? :(

Davidbru2

TDI
2000 Jetta
a_lab_lover[QUOTE said:
]I did check them this morning. They are not working. Is that going to be a fuse or the switch?
[/QUOTE]

Most likely it will be the switch if all of them are not working.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
PS: I seem to remember that there is a recall on brake switches. Since you have an older car, the recall may apply to you.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
a_lab_lover said:
I did check them this morning. They are not working. Is that going to be a fuse or the switch?
Pull the fuse and take a look. Pretty easy to eliminate that possibility.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
pmich, this just happened to my 02 Golf. $11 at the dealer, do a search on here for a link to a vwvortex forum post that explains in great detail how to swap the part. Its easy, once you think about it and read the post.

a_lab_lover

TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI
success!!

A huge thanks to all and for this forum! With the help of the detailed instructions I found here, I easily removed, repaired and reinstalled the brake switch. Brake lights and cruise work again...and I probably saved a couple hundred bucks by doing it myself! :D

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
And 10% of that saved money would get you a nifty license plate frame with a donation to the TDI club.