Glow Plugs

DrWu

Uh oh so my 2 week old Passat TDI had a beep the other day when i turned it on- and emissions workshop flashed on the little display, and then the engine light stayed on. I took it in to my local dealer (Stokes VW) before it is scheduled to be shipped to Seattle. They ran their diagnostics etc etc and then told me that my car had a defective glow plug- which i think they said was for cold weather starts. Unfortuntely it took them about 2 hours to figure this out and of course since this was the first Passat TDI that they had worked on they did not have the right part. Another hour to put the car back together (they did wash it for me also) and I was on the way with the advice that I could drive it without too much harm. So my car is set to be shipped to Seattle this week and I was wondering if A) anyone knew a good dealer in Seattle and B) will the dealer go ahead and order the part if I tell them.

Aargh
Chris
2004 Silverstone Gray Passat TDI Sedan

DonC

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI 2013 Passat TDI SE
Is there a maintenance schedule for replacement of the TDI Glow Plug? I would have thought that this item hardly or never should need to be replaced. Anyone?

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
[ QUOTE ]
Is there a maintenance schedule for replacement of the TDI Glow Plug? I would have thought that this item hardly or never should need to be replaced. Anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're like light bulbs. Replaced when they burn out.

wrenching40plus

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000 (given to bro-in-law)
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite right. I came across a glow plug seller on eBay the other day. You might like to email bullworth (at) comcast (dot) net, for pricing etc. Usual qualifiers.... I have not dealt with Dave personally /images/graemlins/cool.gif

TDI
01 Jetta TDI and 04 Passat TDI and 06 Liberty CRD
Strange, I got exactly the same message today. The car is about 3 weeks old. I came home and hooked up my VAG-COM and found error message. Cylinder #2 glow plug fault. Took me 30 seconds. Does you car also have other driveability problems. My car delays on launch and also misfires at light throttle.

I also found that the workshop code in the engine and trans controllers are different than all the other controllers. Seems like these may have been worked on before I got the 'new' car. Maybe there is truth to the hold in port for re-flash story.

wrenching40plus

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000 (given to bro-in-law)
[ QUOTE ]
The car is about 3 weeks old.... delays on launch and also misfires at light throttle

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, can't help you much on this, but you might like to check the A4 general maintanance category, interesting post by CAGE under 'stumbling mystery' where he finds dielectric grease is a big help. It appears VW assembles low-voltage connectors dry, rather than with a suitable sealant..... just a thought. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DonC

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI 2013 Passat TDI SE
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure hope they'd last longer than some of the light bulbs I've changed recently. I can't believe that they'd be a high maintenance item, especially in the winter. Otherwise, there'd be some discruntled owners in the dead of winter.