Glow plug removal, what torque max to remove ?

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
hello all :
I have a 2000 jetta with alh engine.
it recently have threw a code, glowplug.
previous owners said that one of the glow plugs may be frozen or hard to remove.
they tried and gave up, not wanting to break the glowplug.
what is the maximum torque to remove a glowplug, without risking breaking the glowplug inside the engine ?
I found that it is 11 ft lbs to tighten it when installing, but I assume after all these years and 97000 miles, there is carbon buildup inside ?
a year ago, i sprayed pb blaster at all glowplugs, but never tried to remove them since the deoxit 5 worked and did not have a glowplug code,... but now it came back.
what is max torque and what are some other tricks and tips to remove glow plugs ?
all help appreciated., so that no glowplug is broken.
I already read about how to place them back, using anti seize.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Do you know for certain that the glow plugs are bad? Have you measured resistance on them?

I recently had a bad circuit on the son's 2003. Turned out it was the connection to the GP and not the GP. I stuffed some foil on the end of the GP and pushed the connection back on and the CEL stayed away.

If Deoxit worked then I'd figure it's the connections rather than the GPs themselves.

I don't know what torque will break a GP: I don't want to find out! If you have any that are stuck then the best bet is to keep doing penetrating fluid. Lots of times if you apply a bit of force in the tightening direction that that can help unstick things; have to be careful though. Perhaps using a manual impact tool (the kind you smack with a hammer) would help give a little shock.

Having the engine warm also seems to help.

Don't know about using anti-seize when installing. I'd be careful because that will alter the torque values.