glow plug recall dealer experience

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
I think he has an extraordinarily good relationship with his dealer, some caveat of quebec law with implied warrantee, but regardless, I'm jumping right back on the letter writing campaign. I have 2400 km left on my B2B warrantee and want this fixed.

Last edited:

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Yep. Another point in my favour: the service manager is actually one of the co-owners of the dealership. I find that this tends to make him more customer-oriented. A happy customer is a repeat customer...

The Quebec law thing is correct as well, a major component that fails before its normal service life is over may be entitled to some pro-rata compensation.

BrentRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have many. Now a Golf TSI.
PlaneCrazy said:
My tranny had been recoded at 1134 by myself (with VAG-COM) a year ago. The reflash did not change the code.
I forgot to mention that my VAG-COM modifications (No beep on door lock, Open all doors on key removal) persisted through the ECM flash.

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
haha...glow plugs are the least of my worries...had a fender bender the other day and am waiting to get it to the body shop to assess the damages. had to have it towed.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
That blows. I sure hope our car isn't totaled now. I have replacement cost insurance but only until next month (when the payments end)... I did the work on the basis of wanting to keep it a long time!

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
No, gosh I hope they wouldn't total it...I only tapped his bumper at about 10 mph. Probably less. I haven't really dug in and looked at it, but it appears to be mostly cosmetic. Though I think the radiator supports were bent as it slowly leaked all the coolant out, hence the tow home.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
BrentRN said:
I forgot to mention that my VAG-COM modifications (No beep on door lock, Open all doors on key removal) persisted through the ECM flash.
The tranny and convenience stuff is each done by a separate chip, I believe. Not the ECU. Therefore not effected by an ECU reflash.

cos

TDI
2004 Passat GLS TDI
I had the glow plugs replaced on my 04 Passat by Georgetown VW last week. They reprogrammed the immobilizer on the secon key (which was not working). Now engine seems to run smoother, no hesitation at 50 -60 Km/h. It just seems to have a slower acceleration. I will replace the BS within the next 5000Km and hopefully I can find a good tune after that. RC seems to be too far from me. Any sugestion for a good stage 2 tune?

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
I got my reimbursement check from VWOA today, the full $342 that I spent last March getting the glow plugs replaced & ECU reflashed, at Bachman VW in Louisville KY. No complaint.

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
Got the car back from the body shop on 9/21 and took it to the dealer for the recall work yesterday. In and out in 2 hours. Old plugs looked great and all intact. So far, no issues. knock-on-wood.

Though I did have to get a new battery. >:O

FollowTheBlackRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
05 TDI Passat variant, 03 Dodge 2500 Cummins
Waldorf VW in MD did my GPs and ECU flash in under 2 hours as well.

I notice the GP light stays on for a second or two longer, but hey no problems either.

at 55K, my original plugs looked great as well. One less headache.

Next step is RC tune...

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
vw4life said:
DickSilver, how long did you wait for your cheque?
I got the VWOA cheque in about 4 weeks. I was about to call & rattle their cages when the mail came.

KCMike

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat GLS wagon
VOA reimbursed me $442 for the glow plug work done last December. It took about 10 days to get the check after I mailed in the information. But, it came made out to my wife (she is also on the title). She got the mail first and went "Wow, a nice gift from VW." She didn't know it was a reimbursement.

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
Serra VW in Birmingham, AL seems to have handled the computer flash ok, I do not, however, have any idea how they would have done with removal and reinstallation of the actual plugs as I had it done previously by someone I trusted to take off the head if it became necessary ;).

They just took my word that the new plugs were in, I think they could tell I knew what the heck I was talking about.

We'll see how it goes with VWoA when I send off for the reimbursement for the cost of the plugs and the 1/2 hour of labor for install.