Glow plug question on my pd150-ish swap

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Ok, so my pd swap is done and running now for a bit. The one loose end ive got to tie up are the glow plugs. My car is an 01 2 wire glow plug system with the relay under the steering wheel.

My question is, is it possible to make the stock relay function instead of wiring in the dumb relay from the early passat tdi.

This is taken from a swap blog.

Relay pin 30
This is the largest terminal on the relay, and is wider than your normal sized spade connector. This is a fused 50a circuit from battery positive. I finally found the wide spade connectors at Northern Tool.

Relay pin G1/2
Switched power wire to glow plugs 1 & 2. Self explanatory.

Relay pin G1/2
Switched power wire to glow plugs 3 & 4. Self explanatory.

Relay pin 31
Control side ground. I attached this wire to ground via eyelet on the same bolt that I grounded the fuel pump.

Relay pin 86
Control side positive. This is powered by the ECM relay (yellow wire in my case).

Relay pin ST
ECM to relay. ECM uses this wire to activate the relay when specified conditions are met where the glow plugs are to be on. 5v signal. White/purple wire. ECM pin T80/42.

Relay pin D1
5v signal back to ECM when ST pin is powered. This circuit provides feedback to the ECM that includes fault checking. Green wire. ECM pin T80/37.
Any ideas?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Does your harness have the 4 wire glow plug relay?

If you have the 2 wire, it should drop right in.
T121/42 is your trigger wire - it grounds the signal to the relay to trigger the glow plugs, its T6/2 at the plenum plug, brown plug. This is the same as on the car. Should plug and play, big T2 plug is the same too I think.

Just a thought, I didn't see a wire in the diagram for monitoring, on the ALH its through T10e/8, maybe pull that pin from the plenum plug so it doesn't give you issues, its shown disconnected in the ARL wiring diagram

If it happens to be a 4 wire setup and you wanted to switch to 2 wire, you could try wiring T121/9 to T6/2, then use the 2 pin connector in the engine bay to power the glow plugs, leave T10e/8 plugged in

Last edited: