Glow plug fault

Beach0433

TDI
2006 jetta
New issue popped up the other night on my way from Indiana to Iowa.
P13d0,13d3,13d6,13d9.
While driving along the interstate felt a stumble and then very little power. With glow plug light flashing. I could clear it while driving and would run normally for a period. But would happen again. I’ve checked all the wiring for the glow plugs and to my eyes it all seems good. I’m leaning towards the glow plug relay since I’m getting codes for all of them at once. Also I don’t have vcds. Hoping for some of your thoughts.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
A flashing glow plug light is a "fix me RIGHT NOW" engine fault warning, generally not actually related to the glow plugs, for reasons known only to the German engineers that designed 'er.

That said, you can be pretty sure this is not just a glow plug issue.. as that would not cause a stumble and then low power.

There are about 20 different causes, and the fastest cheapest easiest approach would be a full scan with a VAG-specific scanner like VCDS. Generic scanners that can't speak VW will often miss many of the important FIX ME NOW codes.

Everything else will be an interweb guess, and that can get expensive quick. :)

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
These glow plugs have a 2nd function as cylinder pressure sensors. With all 4 going bad at once, my internet guess would be the wiring harness, and not at the plugs where it might be easily seen.

Beach0433

TDI
2006 jetta
yeah I know the glow plugs function as a cylinder pressure sensor as well. This is my thought on the stumble. CPU request a cylinder pressure reading and doesn’t get it so it put engine into limp mode for safety. I can clear the code and drive the car. Once I turn the car off and go to restart the codes are present again with just the key on. Which says to me the glow plugs aren’t passing the the cpu diagnostic on them ie. not getting power. So makes me think either relay or wiring. Hoping for relay as it’s easier to change than chase wires.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Assuming you are driving a standard North American 2006 Jetta you have a PD engine, and no pressure transducers in your injectors. :)

The ECU would check for continuity to the injector coil, but if there was an actual problem you'd have misfire codes, an obvious engine miss, etc.

Honestly, find a good scanner and let the car tell you what's wrong... it really really wants to!

Last edited:

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
I love it how it says to swap glow plugs, same system as they recommend swapping injectors and spark plug coils on petrol cars. I don't know how Volkswagens are with their glow plugs (I just know their glow plug connectors are very easy to break), but other diesel cars have had issues with glow plugs getting stuck. I think it is the collection of soot on flow plug tip that causes it to stick. So you would loosen it and then it would catch. So you have to go back and forth tightening and untightening with use of penetrating oil for fear of snapping a glow plug and having to drill it out. Glow plugs give me the heebie-jeebies.