Gas cap tether removal?

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
Does anyone know how to remove the pin that holds the gas cap tether in the fuel access compartment? I am replacing the fuel cap and would like to remove the original without destroying it or damaging the parts.

A pin holds the tether. Is it a press fit or threaded?

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Looks like a pin that you pull straight out.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Looks like a pin that you pull straight out.
Its probably one of those fasteners that has a pin in the center and two strips that push outward when the center pin is pushed in. Pushing the center pin in spreads the strips and holds it in place. To remove this style fastener you have to either pull the center piece or push it from below so the the two outer strips can move inward and then the fastener can be pulled from the hole. I have not looked at it,so I'm just assuming that this is the style fastener used.

If you break the original one you can replace it with one from autozone. Don't sweat it! Just pull on the head and if it breaks you can let everyone know what you just learned.

dweisel

grifgolf

TDI
2010 VW Golf TDI
Can you replace the VW gas caps with aftermarket caps? We took my wife's 2002 Toyota Camry to Autozone when the CEL came on (it was an evaporative emissions problem) and replaced the cap but it didn't solve the problem. We had to later buy an OEM cap from the dealer to make the emissions system happy.

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Can you replace the VW gas caps with aftermarket caps?
I don't think that is a problem with a diesel. I fill my tank right up to the top of the filler neck. You can't do that with a gasoline system.

I will let you know what happens when I pull out the pin.

Canyonlands

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M
Why replace the original?

I mean, I wanted to rip the thing off myself the last time I filled because after hanging it on the filler door, as designed, the thing flew off the door and slammed the side of the car. The tether was apparently wound up. I might just remove the tether.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Why replace the original?

I mean, I wanted to rip the thing off myself the last time I filled because after hanging it on the filler door, as designed, the thing flew off the door and slammed the side of the car. The tether was apparently wound up. I might just remove the tether.
One reason for removing the original is to replace it with a green lockable "Diesel" cap. Or if you want to replace it with one of those fuelsure devices.

Of course, another good reason is to completely cut off the tether to prevent the problem you just described. I had the twisted tether force the cap to bounce off the fuel and slam into the body as well. I am contemplating cutting off the tether.

Canyonlands

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M
I think what he's trying to do is eliminate the possibility of someone else putting gasoline into his diesel tank.

If you have ever done that you will understand why the slight (justifiable) paranoia.

Which is where the locking fuel door comes in. ...and many don't have to do something first to understand consequences.

JSWTDIPilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
The fuel doors on the '10 lock with the door locks. You'd break the fuel door before getting into it. At first, I though my fuel door had jammed before I realized this feature.

While I understand the green "reminder" cap, I think the key lock is a little overkill. I could see it helping the uninitiated diesel fueller to stop and think for a second though.

Let us know how this mod goes and which cap PN you use!

Canyonlands

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M
The fuel doors on the '10 lock with the door locks. You'd break the fuel door before getting into it. At first, I though my fuel door had jammed before I realized this feature.

So the '10s do have the locking filler door. For that reason, if I were wanting to add an extra layer of protection, then I'd probably consider http://www.fuelsure.com/index.html

For one, the original filler cap is made so that it can sit atop the fuel door. Assuming that the green lockable cap can be fitted with a tether, will it be able to rest on the filler door instead of the body of the car?

That said, I'm not sure that Fuel Sure is available in the US yet.

EDIT: ACCORDING TO MEMBERS IN THIS THREAD: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=285071 It can be ordered and shipped to the US and Canada.

$36.05, delivered according to my test of their order form.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
While I understand the green "reminder" cap, I think the key lock is a little overkill.
Yes the door locks, but this means nothing to someone who has the key and can unlock the car doors. The main reason for the locking fuel cap is to protect you from "nice" people who might borrow (or drive) you car. This includes friends, wife, and kids. If you let them drive the car they might want to be nice and fill the tank. If you don't give them the fuel cap key - this can't happen. If you are the only person to drive your car, this is not an issue.

Have Fun!

Don

JSWTDIPilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Yes the door locks, but this means nothing to someone who has the key and can unlock the car doors. The main reason for the locking fuel cap is to protect you from "nice" people who might borrow (or drive) you car. This includes friends, wife, and kids. If you let them drive the car they might want to be nice and fill the tank. If you don't give them the fuel cap key - this can't happen. If you are the only person to drive your car, this is not an issue.

Have Fun!

Don
Sorry, but is this not what I said after the sentence you quoted from my post? ;)

That was my point exactly, protection from the diesel impaired. :D

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I think what he's trying to do is eliminate the possibility of someone else putting gasoline into his diesel tank.
Yes. That is my goal. Also, should there ever be a question of "contamination" I would like to be assured that I have control over who has access to my tank for testing purposes. You know, the old "chain of evidence" thing on CSI.

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
The manufacturer of the STANT cap could not confirm that this cap will work on the JSW. They said even though it fits, it might cause the "Check Engine" light to come on. Use it at your own risk is what they said.

blimo

TDI
2009 Jetta ScrapWagon TDI
If you do get a Fuelsave cap, be sure that you get an Orange colored one and NOT the magenta one. The first magenta cap I tried was a little stiff releasing when the nozzle was inserted and on the third fill, broke apart.
The Fuelsave people were nice enough to sent me a free replacement. They explained that they had had some manufacturing problems with the magenta ones that were corrected with the newer version (Orange one). They might have been blowing smoke, but the new one is much easier to use, no problems so far.
With it on, just try to put a gasoline nozzle in there!

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I took off the tether of the original cap by twisting it off. I then used a box cutter to clean off the stub. I drilled a small hole in the stub and inserted a stainless steel round head screw as a future anchor for the tether if needed.

I will test the locking cap today.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
The manufacturer of the STANT cap could not confirm that this cap will work on the JSW. They said even though it fits, it might cause the "Check Engine" light to come on. Use it at your own risk is what they said.
I have the Stant locking fuel cap and I can confirm that it DOES work on my 2009 JSW. Therefore, I suspect it will also work on a 2010 JSW (or sedan).

Have Fun!

Don

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I have the Stant locking fuel cap and I can confirm that it DOES work on my 2009 JSW. Therefore, I suspect it will also work on a 2010 JSW (or sedan).
I just had the JSW out for a 14 mile test run and had no problems (no check engine lights) with the locking cap. I can confirm it works on a 2010 JSW.:)

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Diesels do not have the fuel evaprotive recovery system like gasoline cars do, as diesel does not expand and evaporate like gasoline does.

The sytem on gasoline cars is in place to catch any vapors that come from the tank. These vapors are then routed to a charcoal canister for storage.

Basically, one could run their diesel all day without a fuel cap and not run afoul of any check engine lights.

Some newer gas cars now have a "gas cap" light on the dash which will light up before it throws an evap. recovery system CEL. What I found really interesting recently was when we rented a Ford Mustang convertable in Florida for a wedding we were attending.. It didn't have removable gas cap. The filler neck butted right up to the filler door and the door acted as the gas cap. Gas caps might be becoming a thing of the past...

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
I just had the JSW out for a 14 mile test run and had no problems (no check engine lights) with the locking cap. I can confirm it works on a 2010 JSW.:)
That's great that it works . When, I looked at the picture of the threads and the spec. dwg, the threads look similar and has the same body diameter. Now you can post it and claimed the 1st member/owner in the forum to use the "Green coloured Diesel locking fuel cap"