G40 and G28 issues

The Horak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GL
Hey guys. I've got a BEW that's will stall out sometimes and then not want to start. I'm hoping to get some advice. First off, here is what I get from VCDS:

Engine Module Codes:

2 Faults Found:

19463 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
P3007 - 000 - No Signal
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 168 /min
Torque: 142.0 Nm
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Load: 0.0 %
Voltage: 9.73 V
Bin. Bits: 00001111
Idle Stabilization: 0.0°KW
(no units): 32.0

16706 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
P0322 - 000 - No Signal - Intermittent - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:

Readiness: 1 1 0 0 0
OBD II Code:

Mode 03: Emission related fault codes

Address 10 (Engine): 1 Fault Found:
P0727 - RPM Signal from ECU: No Signal
So it looks like my Camshaft Position Sensor (CPS) is bad and my Crank Sensor. My guess is that the CPS had been dead for years. My car has always taken at least 5 cranks to start. But it ALWAYS started. The Crank Sensor is a new issue, I think.

So here is what I think: my Crank Sensor is intermittent, and when it goes, the car stalls and won't start. But here's the thing. When it won't start, I get the flashing glow plug light. Once the car starts, that goes away until the next time it won't start. I also get a check engine light, but that will eventually clear itself... So what is my next step? Do I just focus on the Crank Sensor? Would that cause a flashing glow plug light? (Sorry this is a long post) Thanks guys.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Seems plausible. It can run with one of those two sensors, but when both aren't working, it doesn't run.

So I guess you should just pop a couple sensors in there...

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Be aware that there could be harness issue. It very common for the loom covering to wear into the wires between the glow plug harness and the area under neath the battery.

Might want to open up that area to inspect.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
cam sensor is under the timing cover. The wire and passes through a rubber plug near the #`1 glow plug and plugs in near the glow plug harness.

Crank sensor is between the oil filter adapter housing and the trans. The wire plugs in up near the glow plug harness.

Area that wears has wires for both the crank and cam sensors in it between glow plug area and the area under the battery. Remove the loom covering in that area and inspect. What your looking for is the plastic loom cover that looks like accordion.

The ones I've seen triggered both codes because those wires would short together. Could also trigger glow plug codes or injector codes because those wires are in that loom also.

The Horak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GL
So I have replaced both sensors. The Cam sensor has definitely been dead for years. The car starts up super quick now. I don't remember it ever doing that. The Crank sensor was bad wiring. But the wiring issue was between the sensor and the connector for it. If I bent the right spot the right way, I could stall the engine on command. So that sensor was also replaced. I've yet to have one issue since. Awesome. Thanks guys!