G12/G13 coolant question

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Is there any reason why I couldn' t use G12/G13 in other vehicles? For instance, at some point, I need to do another radiator flush in my tractor. Probably on a day when I'm working the piss out of it to get the gunk out of the radiator on flushes.

That said, would there be anything wrong with refilling with G13/distilled water, instead of the green $hit? Same thing I guess goes for other diesels I have.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
At the risk of kicking over a hive of wasps over yet another coolant argument, I would recommend against the change unless the manufacturer of the gaskets can guarantee that they will be fine in the new coolant.

Having said that, you're probably fine if you stick to G12/13 since VW didn't formulate theirs with a known plasticizer like GM did. In GM's case, they changed the formula, added the EHN, but didn't tell the gasket manufacturers until it was too late.

But anyway, go for it if you want, but first check the gaskets if you can.

Cheers,

PH

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I did that on a Chevy Aveo I had. There wasn't any issues while I owned it. The VW antifreeze is pretty good I think, I can't imagine it hurting anything.