FYI -- 2004 Golf Fuel Tank Size

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
I drained the tank via the tank fuel line that connects to the fuel filter, at the filter. So, it was as if the engine run out of fuel. Then added 2.000 gallons of fuel and adjusted my fuel gauge with Vag-Com. Drove 2 miles and filled up the tank to the cap. I put in 14.994 gallons at the station.

<font color="blue"> That was a total of 16.994 gallons of fuel in the tank! </font> Less what it took to drive the two miles.

rentstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, 05, platnum
did you do a ventectomy, that could be were the other fuel is at. even 2 gallons is alot though, thanks for the knowledge

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Re: FYI -- 2004 Golf Fuel Tank Size

interesting. I have gotten just over 17 gallons into my 01 Golf without running out of fuel. Maybe these are just minor pump differences?

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
(snip)
adjusted my fuel gauge with Vag-Com
Could you explain this process? I would love to see my fuel guage move in one even sweep.
__. If I'm reading it right, he actually adjusted the place where the "low fuel light/chime" comes on. I don't know of any way to adjust the fuel guage -- it's just what it is ... too sensitive at the bottom, etc. But it's not really a lot worse than a lot of other fuel guage.
'

Polar_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS Golf c/w package silver
I suspect that either we are all getting ripped off at the pump, or we are wrong in what we think our tank size is. I always fuel up before the fuel light comes on, and I often put 14+ gallons in. 15+ on a few occasions.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
I suspect that either we are all getting ripped off at the pump, or we are wrong in what we think our tank size is. I always fuel up before the fuel light comes on, and I often put 14+ gallons in. 15+ on a few occasions.
__. Pumps are checked for accuracy pretty often in most states/locations. I'd expect that we'll see calls for more scrutiny in these days of expensive fuel. What I'm saying here is that I don't think that pump inaccuracy is a big factor (and I hope I'm not proven wrong).

__. Have you checked the setting on your fuel warning light? Over the nearly 100K I've put on my car, I've had the fuel warning light come on within a mile of a good station about 4-5 times. Each time it took 14.9 (+ or - .1) gallons to fill (this is ventectomy, liquid fuel to the filler cap).

__. A number of people here have run out of fuel or emptied tanks (either on purpose or by accident) and have found that it has taken very close to exactly 17.0 gallons to fill. (This is for "A-4" models; 1999.5 thru 2005 MY Golf/Jetta/NB.)
'

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
as Mr. GW said, 17 gallons is right on target for what most have determined is the maximum amount of fuel that can be put in our tanks.

kahuna

TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS
Some interesting responses re: fuel gauge calibration.

While under warranty on my 03 ALH Golf I had my fuel sending unit replaced as I had complained of a non linear fuel gauge response and that the needle would show a drop off full after 400 Kms. NOW the fuel needle shows a drop after 300 Kms of travel. LOL

My reserve light travel distance is 200 Kms HWY.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
I consistently put 16 to 16.5 gals in my Jetta by holding the vent button down with the tip of the nozzle. And my low fuel light hadn't come on yet except when going down hill. It sure affects the old mpg calculations for the worst for me.