Future TDI models and biodiesel

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
Please understand my position. I do not oppose alternate fuels or the use thereof. I do oppose masking costs [of any product, service or idea with tax subsidies. Far too many people mistakenly believe that someone else pays for such subsidies/credits. Boys and girls, there ain't no freebies.

Did your supplier get a tax credit/subsidy to cover part of the cost of the 'solar' installation(s)?

Gallon for gallon, I believe B100 has about 10% less BTUs than regular petroleum diesel.

For every unit of energy used to grow, harvest, manufacture and transport virgin soy B100, you get 3.2 units in return. For rapeseed or mustard seed, the ratio is 1:4.3 (better).

Since restaurant fryer oil has already served its original purpose, the guy that makes my recycled B100 figures that we are getting a 1:12 ratio. He uses solar PV panels to provide part of the electricity and solar hot water collectors for part of the process heat.

ikendu

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Indigo Blue
Did your supplier get a tax credit/subsidy to cover part of the cost of the 'solar' installation(s)?
Nope. This is strictly a community group of like minded folks that banded together and spent their own money to create this capability. We all have our own personal money and sweat equity in this undertaking. Much of the equipment was salvaged or bought used.

Why is the word >solar< enclosed in single quotes?

Last edited:

ikendu

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Indigo Blue
Did your supplier get a tax credit/subsidy..(s)?
Just out of curiosity, other than my supplier, where are you buying fuel where your supplier isn't the beneficiary of some tax credit or subsidy?

ikendu

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Indigo Blue
I do oppose masking costs [of any product, service or idea with tax subsidies.
I'm interested to know how far you take this idea.

Many people will agree that we fought the first Gulf War (after Saddam Hussien invaded Kuwait) to keep Iraq from also invading Saudi Arabia and putting under one man's control, the major oil fields of Iraq, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia combined, i.e. we fought that war for oil (to keep it flowing).

We didn't and don't pay any of those costs at the pump. Those costs are masked. What is your opinion of that masking of cost?

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
Nope. This is strictly a community group of like minded folks that banded together and spent their own money to create this capability. We all have our own personal money and sweat equity in this undertaking. Much of the equipment was salvaged or bought used.

Why is the word >solar< enclosed in single quotes?
More power to you then! I applaud your commitment.

Re your question about motor fuel subsidies. You may not have noticed my sentences stating my position with respect to tax subsidies/credits, "I do oppose masking costs [of any product, service or idea with tax subsidies. Far too many people mistakenly believe that someone else pays for such subsidies/credits."

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
Many people will agree that we fought the first Gulf War (after Saddam Hussien invaded Kuwait) to keep Iraq from also invading Saudi Arabia and putting under one man's control, the major oil fields of Iraq, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia combined, i.e. we fought that war for oil (to keep it flowing).
My $ is that somewhere on youtube is GHWBush telling us why we had to go to war. That might be the one and only person needed to credibly and frankly explain our interests and involvement there, at that time.

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
Goodness gracious. If I had known then what I know now, I wouldn't have asked my question in post #20. I didn't expect, and don't understand why my question about biofuel subsidies stirred up such a hornets' nest. It appears to be a sensitive issue.

ikendu

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Indigo Blue
...don't understand why my question about biofuel subsidies stirred up such a hornets' nest. It appears to be a sensitive issue.
It is certainly a complicated issue; the intersection of corporate lobbying, Presidential politics, foreign policy, economic security, fiscal policy, energy policy ...just to name a few. :)

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
It is certainly a complicated issue; the intersection of corporate lobbying, Presidential politics, foreign policy, economic security, fiscal policy, energy policy ...just to name a few. :)
Yup. This sort of thing happens when our federal government ventures beyond it's Constitutional limits.

Kai

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon manual; 2006 Jetta TDI sedan manual
Please understand my position. I do not oppose alternate fuels or the use thereof. I do oppose masking costs [of any product, service or idea with tax subsidies. Far too many people mistakenly believe that someone else pays for such subsidies/credits. Boys and girls, there ain't no freebies.
To be fair about this, we must also look at the big oil companies and the subsidies, tax breaks, etc. they get for their products, whose costs are also passed on to us.
I would imagine that biodiesel manufacturers have much less of a sweetheart deal than the big oil companies . . . who have oodles of money for lobbyists and tremendous economic and political power.
I'm just guessing here. Haven't done the research. But maybe another member has???

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
"Please understand my position. I do not oppose alternate fuels or the use thereof. I do oppose masking costs [of any product, service or idea with tax subsidies. Far too many people mistakenly believe that someone else pays for such subsidies/credits. Boys and girls, there ain't no freebies..."

To be fair about this, we must also look at the big oil companies and the subsidies, tax breaks, etc. they get for their products, whose costs are also passed on to us.
I would imagine that biodiesel manufacturers have much less of a sweetheart deal than the big oil companies . . . who have oodles of money for lobbyists and tremendous economic and political power.
I'm just guessing here. Haven't done the research. But maybe another member has???
It appears that you may not have taken note of my statement [in bold print] above. A subsidy is a subsidy is a subsidy. IMO government has no business taking from one to curry favor from another. Whether our point of reference is those who save and invest [in oil exploration, production refining, transportation and marketing of petroleum for example] or about those who live off monies extracted from the 50% who pay federal income based taxes, we are still talking about subsidies. IMO nothing in the 10th Amendment or any amendment or article of the federal Constitution preceding it authorizes wealth transfers of this nature.

Lobbying would lose steam in hurry if we (voters) had the gumption to change the slate in Washington, DC and state legislatures on a regular and frequent basis.