Fuse 7 speedometer not working

Ed27

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 4dr, 2000 2dr Golfs both 5 speed stick
Hello everyone,
My # 7 interior fuse keeps shorting out and leaving me with no speedometer. After fuse replacement the speedo works until I restart the engine and the fuse is shorted. I've been going by my tac but the LEOs are getting more frequent so any ideas would help.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Do your back-up lights work? They are also on fuse 7 along with the VSS.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Trace the circuit looking for a bad wire. Often they get rubbed bare and short to ground, but could also be in a connector or even a device. Good that the fuse is doing it's job. I'd guess it's under the car near the speedo sensor, but could be anywhere, even a bad ground. We all hate chasing electric gremlins.

Ed27

Veteran Member
TDI
Do your back-up lights work? They are also on fuse 7 along with the VSS.
I found the problem in my backup lights as there is a rat nest of towing wire connections from the previous owner(s)

Ed27

Veteran Member
TDI
Trace the circuit looking for a bad wire. Often they get rubbed bare and short to ground, but could also be in a connector or even a device. Good that the fuse is doing it's job. I'd guess it's under the car near the speedo sensor, but could be anywhere, even a bad ground. We all hate chasing electric gremlins.
Thanks for the info as I was desperate to find the problem.

Ed27

Veteran Member
TDI
UPDATE: Part of the problem was my windshield was not sealed correctly, but LOTS of sealant stopped it.