Fuse #7 keeps blowing and speedometer dies

MTB_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf MT indigo blue pearl 4 dr & '15 Touareg TDI
I am having an issue with my MK4. It mostly happens when the car is warm. The speedometer works until I switch the car into reverse and it blows the fuse. It doesn’t happen first thing in the morning, but after I drive it for a while. I’m trying to find the short but need some advice on where to look.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I would pull the plug to the reverse sensor when it happens and see if it or one of the wires are grounded.
Of course, if you unplug the reverse sensor and it doesn't happen when you shift to reverse you know it's that circuit either way.
It's likely a grounded wire from the reverse sensor, or in the light circuit that goes to the backup lights. Ones rubbed through and shorting when it gets hot.
There's a possibility that it's the switch/sensor shorting to the trans also. That would be an easy fix, replace the sensor.

Basically you have constant power to the sensor/switch and when you shift into reverse it closes turning the backup lights on.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Have you done any major work lately? Like bad the trans out of anything on the driver's side or inside the dash, has the dash been out for a heater core replacement?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

MTB_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf MT indigo blue pearl 4 dr & '15 Touareg TDI
Transmission was out about a year ago when I put in the SB clutch. I replaced my ignition lock cylinder and switch a few weeks before the short started happening. I'm going to do some unplugging of the reverse lights, reverse switch, etc and see if this stops. I'll post up here when as I go.

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
From my notes:
Fuse 7. Back-up lights, speedometer vehicle speed sensor (VSS) (10A).
The speedometer works before backing up so I'm inclined to think its in the wires going from the b/u switch to the back of the car.

I would unplug the b/u switch and use an amp meter to confirm it's drawing more then 10 amps.
If not then check for the switch grounding internally with the car in reverse. Long shot.