Fuel Tank Capacity?

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Yes, reading people's answers to your same question in multiple threads is a good idea.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
Whoops. Forgot I’d asked. Seems like a few believe it can’t be filled to to full capacity. Makes sense.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If you fill it till you see fuel in the filler neck, is that not filled to capacity?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That’s why fueling up is problematic in this model. You CAN’T see the fuel level like you can in a Mark 4.
Yes, you can. Fill until the pump clicks off, then pull the nozzle out of the restrictor and flow the fuel VERY slowly until you can see clear fuel in the neck. This can be difficult on some pumps, but it can be done.

I've run my '15 to 0 miles to empty and it still had over a gallon of fuel in it. Typically a fill up after the low fuel light comes on is a little over 11 gallons.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That’s why fueling up is problematic in this model. You CAN’T see the fuel level like you can in a Mark 4.
I do it all the time in our Passat (with the OEM nozzle guard), the wife gets pissed waiting in the car, "why does it take you 20 minutes to fill the car?"

The passat tanks seem to be worse as the even when you see fuel/foam in the neck, it then slowly goes down, repeat 4-5 times until fuel stays in the neck and you got another liter or so of fuel in the tank, lol.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It’s good to know that eve if the dash message says zero miles left that I still have a little fuel.

740, I don’t understand how you can see the fuel foaming, unless there’s no guard on your car.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
foam and fuel rises above the gaurd, that flapper is not a sealed system.

nozzle fully inserted, fill until it clicks off, pull nozzle 1/2 way out just enough to have that flapper open, trickle fuel in for the next 5-10 min until you see fuel/foam. This was the same process i did on my cjaa without the guard.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Some pump handles are very touchy, trick is to let up very slowly on handle so that it can slowly trickle in. I usually fill somewhat slow, then when it clicks off, I do that a few more times,then trickle it in.

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen 2015 Blue Silk
So I guess the GSW TDI doesn't have an overflow outlet or tank like some gas cars, where any fuel past a point is just wasted money?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
In the older alh cars they had an extra spot that would hold an extra gallon or so of fuel (venting). None of the newer cars have this to my knowledge.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The other day after the pump nozzle stopped, I very slowly added more. It pumped at least another gallon in. No overflow.

mayday_soc

TDI
Mk7 TDI
I removed the plastic neck filler with snap ring pliers. Only takes a minute and can be reinserted if needed. Makes fueling and adding cetane boost a little easier. You’ll also be able to fit the older large diesel pump nozzles.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was in Nova Scotia and had to get fuel at a place that only had the huge truck nozzles. I’m very happy that I carry a VW plastic adapter so I could fill up.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I removed the plastic neck filler with snap ring pliers. Only takes a minute and can be reinserted if needed. Makes fueling and adding cetane boost a little easier. You’ll also be able to fit the older large diesel pump nozzles.
Definitely keep those bits handy in case your HPFP fails and you need take it back to VW for the extended warranty. If they find it removed they would likely deny any warranty coverage.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So I guess the GSW TDI doesn't have an overflow outlet or tank like some gas cars, where any fuel past a point is just wasted money?
No charcoal canister or any evap items of the Gassers, fill it till you see fuel, the neck will hold fuel.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was in Nova Scotia and had to get fuel at a place that only had the huge truck nozzles. I’m very happy that I carry a VW plastic adapter so I could fill up.
Irving stations will always have a handle for automotive fills. I've also had good success with Esso in the Maritimes.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
walking into pay and being shamed you don't have a fleet/truck number is hardly worth me saving $8 for 5 gallons of DEF, but it's the things I do once a year.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Sounds like y'all just got **** truck stops. When I had my TDI, I'd just go to the brand new Love's down the highway. If I was traveling a distance, literally any Sheetz.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sheetz have big car islands with Diesel. I'll go to those. My cars also run great on their fuel. I don't see that many Love's around.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sheetz have big car islands with Diesel. I'll go to those. My cars also run great on their fuel. I don't see that many Love's around.
I only end up at the big rig stops for DEF, i avoid them otherwise.