Fuel Injector -- Pittsburgh help!!

burghtdi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
My TDI has 117000 miles on it and broke down on me 3 days ago. Bear with me because I really know nothing about cars. It really did not want to start the morning it broke down nor on my way home from work but it did start both times. I drove it onto the PA turnpike and it was going back and forth between driving normally and having no kick at all (I had the gas pedal floored and it wouldn't go above 65 MPH). Then finally it started slowing down (pressing the gas did nothing) and I pulled it off onto the shoulder where it completely stalled out and would not start. It was towed to the local VW dealership (who have tried to get me to do service before that my car did not need). I was called this afternoon and told the fuel injector needed to be replaced at a cost of $1800. Two questions... does anyone know anything about this? I was reading that sometimes the dealerships won't try to repair the injector and just replace the whole thing when part could be repaired. Also, does anyone have any suggestions of good diesel mechanics in the Pittsburgh area? Maybe I need to take it somewhere else since these guys have given me problems before....

Sorry... 2002 Jetta TDI

Last edited:

TDIRyan

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI Black
We first need more information on the car - year/model

Also, an injector? Get real - I dont think they'd even be close to that in a PD (2004+)

wanders

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS- Baltic Green
burghtdi said:
My TDI has 117000 miles on it and broke down on me 3 days ago. Bear with me because I really know nothing about cars. It really did not want to start the morning it broke down nor on my way home from work but it did start both times. I drove it onto the PA turnpike and it was going back and forth between driving normally and having no kick at all (I had the gas pedal floored and it wouldn't go above 65 MPH). Then finally it started slowing down (pressing the gas did nothing) and I pulled it off onto the shoulder where it completely stalled out and would not start. It was towed to the local VW dealership (who have tried to get me to do service before that my car did not need). I was called this afternoon and told the fuel injector needed to be replaced at a cost of $1800. Two questions... does anyone know anything about this? I was reading that sometimes the dealerships won't try to repair the injector and just replace the whole thing when part could be repaired. Also, does anyone have any suggestions of good diesel mechanics in the Pittsburgh area? Maybe I need to take it somewhere else since these guys have given me problems before....

Sorry... 2002 Jetta TDI
I'd get in touch with Metalman in Sudbury,PA. http://www.metalmanparts.com/ Well respected person here.

It sounds as if dealer is trying to sell you an injection pump. This is a pretty reliable component, and there are lots of things to rule out before you bite the bullet on that one.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Is it cold there? When was the fuel filter last changed? Get it away from the dealer, and, somehow, get the fuel warm and the filter changed. You may also have some clogging around the fuel pickup. You got a load of slightly gelled/waxed fuel that clogged your filter, and starved the engine until it quit.

At least, that's my wag. Injection pump? I guess it's possible, but generally go more slowly, and with quite a bit of noise.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
You may want to consider getting AAA Platinum - 100 mile towing. I'm on the greater Pittsburgh area but can't really suggest anyone. I have had pretty good luck with Hillcrest VW in Lower Burrell's service department. They are a dealer though.

Day VW in Monroeville was willing to put the 2002 TB, tensioner, etc on my 2001 when other dealers wouldn't although I had it done at a private garage.

PM me and I'll see if I can assist you.

burghtdi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
It was cold here that day... but a good 10-15 degrees warmer than the couple days before. I had no trouble starting the car the couple days before. I had driven the car a good 10 miles before it died on me so it was warm at the time... could the fuel still gel???

I am not afraid to admitt that I know nothing about cars. I tend to feel cornered into going to the dealership even though I don't trust them at all. I haven't found a diesel mechanic around here yet so the dealership has been my only option for things like this. I am not even sure where to start asking questions to be sure this is what I need to do to fix the car. Any advice is appreciated!

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
I'll be driving thru on my way to wisconsin thursday. Might be able to stop by and help you rule out the fuel injection system, as this certainly sounds like gelled fuel or another simple problem.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
How much fuel is in it?
What is the maintenance history of the car?

RichS

Veteran Member
TDI
05 VW Jetta Wagon 5sp
davebugs said:
I'm on the greater Pittsburgh area but can't really suggest anyone. I have had pretty good luck with Hillcrest VW in Lower Burrell's service department. They are a dealer though.
PM me and I'll see if I can assist you.
I would have to agree with DaveBugs, Hillcrest VW in Lower Burrell is really good, although they still use the wrong oil for the PD TDI. Since my car is still under warranty, I take it there. Dana is a tech there that I would recommend. When/If you call, you can request her.

Have you been able to check you car with VAG-COM to see if anything obvious jumps out at you?

burghtdi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I do not have a garage. As much as I would love to be able to wait until Thursday to get some personal help... my boss may not agree with it. Getting the car fixed at Day VW already has me set back through at least tomorrow. So I am hoping to make up my mind on what to do ASAP. Unfortunately this is why I end up feeling cornered into using Day VW...

Thinking of calling Dana at Hillcrest. I work close to New Kensignton. Not sure what kind of issues I may get pulling my car from one VW dealership just to take it to another... but at this point I don't really care!

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
I do know of a local VW mech that is just off the parkway at greensburgh pike. He is a VW dealer mech that has a shop, cheaper yes but still a dealer mech that wants to just replace stuff. There are a couple of us in the area with Vagcom that could at least plug her in. If it's at DAY VW I would take it elsewhere for sure. Definately not at the level of Car54.
I'm in class today but off tomorrow.
If I can help at all give me a ring.

dave 412-657-6948

I wonder if the service mgr from hillcrest would agree to the transport if they were to do the work???
It's going to warm up here today, i wonder if a new filter and some fresh fuel would be the deal?

burghtdi said:
I do not have a garage. As much as I would love to be able to wait until Thursday to get some personal help... my boss may not agree with it. Getting the car fixed at Day VW already has me set back through at least tomorrow. So I am hoping to make up my mind on what to do ASAP. Unfortunately this is why I end up feeling cornered into using Day VW...

Thinking of calling Dana at Hillcrest. I work close to New Kensignton. Not sure what kind of issues I may get pulling my car from one VW dealership just to take it to another... but at this point I don't really care!

Last edited:

astonishedboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Golf, Black Mariah
It reached up to the 40's today here in Pgh. and should be in the 40's all week. That should solve the problem of gelled fuel. Of course, it is getting cold at night still. I could help you out with Vag-Com. Let me know if you need me to come by.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
I really doubt that Hillcrest would want to get involved in getting the car there. Infact I wouldn't tell Day where it's going. Pay any reasonable bill that you have for their assessment(or lack thereof) and get it outta there. Where it goes is none of their business - I assume that you are paying to have it fixed.

I would imagine Hillcrest could potentially be frowned upon by VW for 'stealing' a repair job. But if the customer handles it themselves what could VW or Day say?

Dave (pghPAtdi) both these dealers are relatively close to me. I do have a vag-com. Actually the warm weather may help solve this itself.

I even have a tow dolly covered in snow in the back yard. Just don't know how much to get involved as I think this repair is probably beyond my abilities. I'm also not much for actually working on other peoples cars. Reading, resetting codes, basic maintenance o.k. but nothing major.

When she goes to Day she should probably try to start the car.

Dave

burghtdi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Had a candid conversation with someone at Lower Burrell and came to the conclusion that I was really gambling with taking my car out of Day and getting a second opinion. I gave much more detail to this mechanic about what happened and was told that Day was probably in the right rhelm of what the problem is and the repair needed. I'm not really in the position to gamble with possibly more bills so I gave Day the ok to do the repair. I was told by three different mechanics that they didn't think it would be fuel gel considering all that I told them. 2 of those mechanics didn't even want to mess with looking at my car because first VWs are "complicated" and diesels are difficult. SO I'm stuck with the ridiculous bill that I cannot afford. Cal me stupid.

My car will be going to Lower Burrell from now on.

On another note.... Day thinks that the problem is a result of the new diesel fuel. I don't know what the solution to that problem is since the low sulfer diesel fuel is our only option. Anyone know anything about this?

ScorpionBoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
car 54 said:
I'll be driving thru on my way to wisconsin thursday. Might be able to stop by and help you rule out the fuel injection system, as this certainly sounds like gelled fuel or another simple problem.
i think you would save alot of money by getting it away from that dealership. i have never been east of ohio and i have heard they are shysters. an offer from car 54 is really something you should consider heavily. even if you have to rent a car for a day or two.

astonishedboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Golf, Black Mariah
burghtdi said:
On another note.... Day thinks that the problem is a result of the new diesel fuel. I don't know what the solution to that problem is since the low sulfer diesel fuel is our only option. Anyone know anything about this?
I don't know enough much it, but that sure sounds like alot of Horsephooey to me. Most people I know seek out the ULSD for their TDI. Call VWoA, and tell them what the dealership said.

Get your old fuel pump from them. If it is in good shape, you could sell it to recoup some of your cost.

Last edited:

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
I've had nothing but issues with DAY from the moment I bought my car there. I've been charged for emmisions testing, left with both my front seat airbags unplugged, had wrong MAF's installed, had the "diesel guy" tell me he doesn't know if it's negative or positive pressure which actuates the turbo diaphragm, and verbally tell me that we only get one or two diesels in the shop per year. blah blah blah.

I hope they are not throwing parts at it. If you can think of it through your pain try to get what trouble codes were present and get the old parts back along with a list of parts that were changed. If it is the pump they change, I think the pulley bolts may be one time use. Like the little boy above said, that pump may be worth some cash to you.

As for the USLD issue I would get them to write down their mind blowing diagnosis and if possible rent a compact car for two days and wait for CAR54. Even if it is the pump you will know from a seasoned person telling you. 50 bucks for a rental well spent I would think. Maybe 50 bucks on top of 1800.......maybe 50 bucks on top of a whole lot less if it turns out to be NOT the pump

Good luck

Dave

Last edited:

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
I possibly have the ability to tow the car(some gas money would be nice) and provide a mostly unheated garage to have someone (car54 where are you) - couldn't resist - more knowledgable than myself work on it. I have a vag-com, decent tools (not many VW specific unless we're talking air cooled), compressor, car-lift, etc.

I wouldn't want to get in the middle of any pissing contests but can offer atleast some assistance.

Dave

85Porsche

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI
I agree with what the other folks said about Day. Follow this link http://1.8t.org/dealers/?p=1&sd=desc and you'll find that there aren't many good things to say about this dealership. I've had good results with Hillcrest, but haven't had any major things done, to speak of.

Anyone have any experience with Richlin Imports in Penn Twp.? I talked to the guy there and he seemed to be up on TDI's.

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
burghtdi said:
1. Had a candid conversation with someone at Lower Burrell and came to the conclusion that I was really gambling with taking my car out of Day and getting a second opinion.

2. On another note.... Day thinks that the problem is a result of the new diesel fuel. I don't know what the solution to that problem is since the low sulfer diesel fuel is our only option. Anyone know anything about this?
1. I think you need to listen to some of the guys around here. There would be a lot less gambling involved. Click on the following link and read post #s 5, 6, and 8 in that thread. Even the regional VW rep had no idea of what was wrong! http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=167880. There are lots of similiar stories around here.

2. Dealers like to blame the USLD when they are lost. There have been some injector pump problems when TDIs have ran on bio for a long time and switched back to ULSD. The seals shrink and the pump leaks. Very easy to see the leak.

If I were you I would be making arrangements to get your car to MOGolf in Columbus or to Medalman in Sunbury unless you can find someone of Guru quality closer! That dealer will want to change all four injector housings at the tune of $2000 plus, when one can just change the nozzles. That is if it needs injectors. The injectors might be fine.

Last edited:

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
The symptoms sound like a limp mode... she has a 2002, not a 2004... an injection pump... lol... injectors... ROFLOL... man they are going to be selling you some blinker fluid next...

Car54 Where are you???