Fuel gage fluctuation-causes?

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
Hi, ive got a 05 mk4 jetta bew. Recently the fuel guage became very unstable, like every gear the gage will drop back towards the bottom of the display, and will move towards the top of the display when i brake. Cornering will make it move downward as well. Its to the point where i wont run it much below half a tank because its constantly dropping into the low fuel zone and the warning beep drives me nuts. Probably takes a new in tank pump/sending unit??? Anything else that would cause it?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I've had a similar problem, but not as drastic. My gauge needle periodically drops one or two hash marks when pulling away from a complete stop. Has been this way since new. I did change the in-tank pump assembly, but no change. I opened up the cluster and swapped in a used stepper motor for the fuel gauge, but again, no change.

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
Mine gets worse as the tank goes down... Which i figure is due to more sloshing in the tank as there is more room in there. It changed right when i did my manual swap.... Just a coincidence?? Or something to do with the swap procedure?