Fuel filter tips and/or tricks

ladysmithgwl

Veteran Member
I'm going to be changing the fuel filter in my Jetta. I've read that FAQ about changing it. The proceedure doesn't look too hard.

Since this will be the first time I've done this, are there any tips or "tricks of the trade" that I should be aware of to make the job easier/smoother.

Any tips and "tricks of the trade" are appreciated.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
be certain you have 2 new hose clamps BEFORE you start. The task is simple and shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. Also, a very small funnel is helpful to re-fill.

I just did our Passat yesterday and re-filled the fuel filter with PS Diesel Kleen. The car fired up perfectly and didn't even cough from air in the lines.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VW uses the crimp on style which requires a special tool to crimp properly. I simply use a hi quality German screw type. I think the are easier to deal with.

Dubbs

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,96,Blue
I use a Oetiker standard pliers to recrimp the VW stepless clamps. These stepless clamps are "Tamper resistant", stainless steel(orzinc plated carbon steel clamps that have alot of clamping force. Regular worm-gear clamps work just fine though. The tool is $19 at www.Farmtek.com . I have one at work so I didnt have to buy one.

Secret Squirrel

TDI
Jetta, 98, Black
What you may do if you have one is use one of those brake bleeder hand pump kits. After installing my fuel filter, I hook up the pump to the fitting that feeds into the clear hose that goes to the injector pump. Once I get fuel comming through the pump kit line, I know that the filter is full and will have very few if any air bubbles going over to the pump. Have a go at it, it's easy.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
Fill the new filter up with diesel, BD, or your favorite additive. I use an eyedropper to squirt diesel into the fuel supply hoses. Crank 'er up !

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Originally posted by MITBeta:
What? Not biodiesel?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">well, I've got all these bottles of darn dino diesel additive that I will probably never use so it was real convenient to throw in 16oz of Diesel Kleen and off I went! That 16oz did not fill the filter but I slapped everything back together and started it up. That was the most effortless fuel filter change I have ever done.