Fuel Filter replacement - Pump priming questions

joesaiditstrue

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0L DSG
I have a push button start 2013 JSW TDI, and saw some videos on YouTube stating you can prime the fuel pump by simply turning the key to accessory

is this true? and would this work on a push button start model by just pressing the start button quickly for accessory mode?

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
For simple fuel filter changes on my 2014 JSW w/CJAA engine, no pump priming is necessary. I simply fill the canister all the way with fuel (or Diesel Purge), seal the canister and start. The car will start instantly and run without issues.

There are many who say it cannot be done without a proprietary scan tool but that is not so. Just make sure the canister is full before sealing after installing the new filter so that no air is introduced into the system.

joesaiditstrue

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0L DSG
So just pull the old filter, put the new one in, and top off the fuel and seal the unit?

ss_mini14

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
My first filter change I didn't have VCDS, I topped off the canister as full as I could. When I pulled out of the parking lot the engine stalled then restarted after I cranked it another 20 seconds or so, it ran fine after that. I've since bought VCDS and prime the filter before I start the car. I still top off the canister with fuel additive to get most of the air out.

VWpal

TDI
2014 TDI Jetta Sportwagon 6 spd manual
2014 JSW

I top off canister with fresh diesel and use the OBDELEVEN Pro to prime the system (activates pump inside the fuel tank and the auxiliary pump in the engine bay without starting the engine) for a few minutes to ensure all air is out of the system. Maybe I’m overly cautious but there are to many stories about HPFP failure on these CR TDIs .

TDI
2013 vw jetta sportwagen
my method was putting the return line into a bottle and kicking it until i had no bubbles coming from the return, primed enough by my standards. Lots of people get away without priming their fuel system the right way, but there is a slim chance it can pop the HPFP. I just didn't want to pay for VCDS

Golfer12

TDI
11 jsw tdi
But with vcds you can do alot more than just prime the fuel line, it will pay for itself the first time you can't fix something and have to go to repair shop highly recommend

Kaeferpaul

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
my method was putting the return line into a bottle and kicking it until i had no bubbles coming from the return, primed enough by my standards. Lots of people get away without priming their fuel system the right way, but there is a slim chance it can pop the HPFP. I just didn't want to pay for VCDS
I doesn't look like VCDS will run on Macs, either.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I doesn't look like VCDS will run on Macs, either.
VCDS works fine on Apple Mac computers that have Intel processors (all modern Macs) when Windows is installed on them using Boot Camp. Most computers that are used to run Linux can also boot Windows. If you do not wish to install Windows, we now offer a platform-independent version of VCDS called "VCDS-Mobile".

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
So how did it work for you?
When I change my ff I clean the canister out completely. Add my new filter, fill with diesel additive and diesel. When putting on the cap some normally spills over. Tighten it down and fire it right up

Last edited:

Kaeferpaul

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
2014 JSW

I top off canister with fresh diesel and use the OBDELEVEN Pro to prime the system (activates pump inside the fuel tank and the auxiliary pump in the engine bay without starting the engine) for a few minutes to ensure all air is out of the system. Maybe I’m overly cautious but there are to many stories about HPFP failure on these CR TDIs .
Where did you buy yours? I also have a 2014 Sportwagen TDI and 2017 Passat I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the investment or not. I'm getting so much conflicting info on changing the TDI fuel filters...some say just top off the canister and run it and some say to prime the pump using VCDS, which apparently doesn't run on a mac. OBDeleven seems to run on an iPhone, which is a plus but won't work on my F-150 or any other cars I might buy in the future.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Where did you buy yours? I also have a 2014 Sportwagen TDI and 2017 Passat I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the investment or not. I'm getting so much conflicting info on changing the TDI fuel filters...some say just top off the canister and run it and some say to prime the pump using VCDS, which apparently doesn't run on a mac. OBDeleven seems to run on an iPhone, which is a plus but won't work on my F-150 or any other cars I might buy in the future.
Mine has 3 fuel pumps. In tank to the filter. Filter to 60psi electric then to the hpfp. Both electric ones run constantly.
Vagcom is always worth the investment. Do you have emissions there?

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
500k km on my 2010 & 2014 having only filled/topped off the canister, start and go.